Sunday, March 27, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?






On my Kindle since November 2013.

The Accidental Bachelor by Tim Holsten


Goodreads Synopsis:

Finn McCallister has serious doubts about his career. The receptionist in his coastal California real estate office wears her wetsuit to work, and his eccentric boss lectures in Pidgin: Braddah Finn, tell dem kook clients to pound sand! As the last of his friends to find a customer for his surname, hungover from one singles-bar karaoke of "Heat of the Moment" too many, Finn senses his personal life, too, is circling the drain.

In an attempt to outrun his insecurities, Finn trains for a marathon and literally collides with doe-eyed veterinarian Kim, who awakens primal feelings dormant since Phoebe Cates graced the halls of Ridgemont High. As Finn gains momentum from this new relationship, he attempts to rehabilitate his toxic best friend, Carmichael, whose marriage has flatlined. Still playing point guard from their high school basketball glory days, Carmichael plans a guys' weekend in the one city diametrically opposed to rehabilitation--Las Vegas.

An epic desert battle of Finn's morals versus Carmichael's impulses results. In combat, Finn slips back into a Members Only jacket, reunites with a (now clothing-optional) prom date, clubs with a Saved by the Bell alum, and stages the ultimate 80s-tribute concert. In the heat of the moment, in a last-stand effort to save a friend, Finn risks destroying his own future.


My Thoughts so far:

I am having a bit of trouble warming up to Finn and his buddies. I especially am not impressed with Carmichael  Thompson, Finn best friend and the bully of the bunch.  Maybe I am just too old to appreciate the world as seen through the eyes of a 30 something male. 



On my nightstand:

The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion  by Fannie Flagg.  This is next month's read for my face to face book club. I have it in a print book and it will be the last of the titles on my TBR Triple Dog Dare. Luckily I was able to read the book club books as part of the Dare because I purchased all of them before the end of 2015.


Goodreads Synopsis:

The one and only Fannie Flagg, beloved author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop CafeCan't Wait to Get to Heaven, and I Still Dream About You, is at her hilarious and superb best in this new comic mystery novel about two women who are forced to reimagine who they are.
Mrs. Sookie Poole of Point Clear, Alabama, has just married off the last of her daughters and is looking forward to relaxing and perhaps traveling with her husband, Earle. The only thing left to contend with is her mother, the formidable Lenore Simmons Krackenberry. Lenore may be a lot of fun for other people, but is, for the most part, an overbearing presence for her daughter. Then one day, quite by accident, Sookie discovers a secret about her mother's past that knocks her for a loop and suddenly calls into question everything she ever thought she knew about herself, her family, and her future.

My  thoughts so far:
Ok, I don't want to spoil the plot here, but just now I am shaking my head at Sookie Poole. I like the writing so far,  Ms. Flagg knows her characters  and their flaws. And she knows how to make you laugh at the ordinary things that happen in life.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy



7 comments:

  1. When I read The Man Called Ove, I said maybe I'm not ready to read about a 65 year old man, I felt like I needed to be his age to appreciate but in the end I thought it was a gem. You never know, hope it improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Fannie Flagg, and the All Girl Filling State...etc., really kept my interest.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed all of Fannie Flagg's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that niggling throat doesn't settle in. I must read a Fannie Flagg - I did enjoy the movie Fried Green Tomatoes way back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are unfamiliar titles to me - thanks for sharing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Triple Dog Dare to get us reading off our shelves. Not sure I would pick the Accidental Bachelor but the Flagg book looks fun. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your reading week has been good.

    I haven't read a Fannie Flagg book.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete