Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday 2/17/16



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative!   If you want to play along, write a post then go to Kathy's blog and add your link to Mr. Linky.  Don't forget to grab the button while you are there. 

I have been a bit absent in this meme.  I haven't found many words in my reading lately. Last Wednesday I spent the day serving on a jury for our county circuit court. It only took one very long day, but now I am free from having to serve again, at least for this court and this term. It's not that I really mind, it is just that I have a hard time judging another's actions and trying to decide what turn their life will take dependent on the usually sketchy facts that the lawyers present in the courtroom.This is my third time serving in recent years. That being said, I did hear a word that I have heard every time I have served and never understood. I had  not seen it written so was unclear as to what the judge or the attorneys  were saying. The bailiff, in this case, was nice enough to help me understand.  It is from French - to speak the truth. 



voir dire

/vwɑː ˈdɪə/





nounLaw.
1.
an oath administered to a proposed witness or juror by which he or she is
 sworn to speak the truth in an examination to ascertain his or her competence.
2.
the examination itself.




Have you ever served on a jury? I have friends who have not served in the 30+ years they have been in our community. Mr Busy has only been called once. Yet my name keeps coming up in the rotation. My daughter says I am the right demographic: mature, women, unemployed! Ha!



Stay Busy and Stay Happy




4 comments:

  1. I have never served on a jury but my husband has several times. I could figure out the meaning of that term because of the French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one I had never seen written and could not for the life of me understand what the judge or the lawyer were saying. The bailiff explained that it is often pronounced differently by different people.

      Delete
  2. I did know voir dire, but then I love to read legal thrillers and reruns of Law and Order. I really want to be on a jury, but I never get a summons - in all these years. I keep hoping.

    ReplyDelete