Monday, February 22, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you are or are about to read over the next week or so.  It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and then, of course, add to that ever-growing TBR pile!  I started participating when it was hosted by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. And here we are! Join us. It is a great way to see what others are reading.


In Print:


Goodreads Synopsis:

The Liars' Club


When it was published in 1995, Mary Karr's The Liars Club took the world by storm and raised the art of the memoir to an entirely new level, as well as bringing about a dramatic revival of the form. Karr's comic childhood in an east Texas oil town brings us characters as darkly hilarious as any of J. D. Salinger's—a hard-drinking daddy, a sister who can talk down the sheriff at twelve, and an oft-married mother whose accumulated secrets threaten to destroy them all. Now with a new introduction that discusses her memoir's impact on her family, this unsentimental and profoundly moving account of an apocalyptic childhood is as "funny, lively, and un-put-downable" (USA Today) today as it ever was. 

This one is the March selection for my book club, I am a bit concerned about the discussion that will follow the reading of this one. 

On my Kindle: I am just beginning this one. 


Goodreads Synopsis:


Of Moths and Butterflies

by 
Archer Hamilton is a collector of rare and beautiful insects. Gina Shaw is a servant in his uncle’s house. Clearly out of place in the position in which she has been discovered, she becomes a source of fascination . . . and curiosity.

A girl with a blighted past and a fortune she deems a curse, Gina has lowered herself in order to find escape from her family and their scheming designs. But when she is found, the stakes suddenly become dire.

All Gina wants is the freedom to live her life as she would wish. All her aunts want is the money that comes with her. But there is more than one way to trap an insect. An arranged marriage might turn out profitable for more parties than one.

Mr. Hamilton is about to make the acquisition of a lifetime. But will the price be worth it? Can a woman captured and acquired learn to love the man who has bought her?
 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy


11 comments:

  1. Both new to me. Enjoy the books and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My week is shaping up to be a good one.

      Delete
  2. These both sound good...I have The Liars' Club sitting on my coffee table/trunk in the office, where my "up next" print books wait....but I've been reading from my Kindle a lot lately. Hope to get to it soon. I read another memoir by this author and enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first I've read by Mary Karr. It is definitely sad but feels very true. As a memoir should be. It is a bit raw or graphic. No punches pulled in this one.

      Delete
  3. The Liar's Club sounds interesting and I like memoirs. Hope the book club discussion will go okay, so it sounds like there are some interesting issues in the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely issues to discuss, and the writing will cause some discussion too I think. Very personal, raw and not glossed over.

      Delete
  4. I like the look of Of Moths and butterflies, interesting that she would take a lower station to avoid the hassles of her fortune. Hope it's a good one! It has a nice cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was taken by the cover and the price on Book Bub. I usually enjoy historical fiction so I am looking forward to this one.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read either of these books, but they do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to read The Liar's Club for awhile now. My copy is older, so I imagine it doesn't have the new intro. How are you finding it?

    Of Moths and Butterflies sounds interesting. I like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of Moths and Butterflies sounds good despite the characters who sound devious.

    The Liar's Club looks good too.

    ENJOY the rest of this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete