Tuesday, February 16, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro - The Liar's Club by Mary Karr


Every Tuesday Diane hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where she shares the first paragraph sometimes two from a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. Share a book you are interested in reading and link up at Diane's blog, Bibliophile by the Sea





The Liar's Club
Mary Karr
Viking Press 1995



Chapter 1

My sharpest memory is of a single instant surrounded by dark. I was seven and our family doctor knelt before me where I sat on a mattress on the bare floor. He wore a yellow golf shirt unbuttoned so that sprouts of hair showed in a V shape on his chest. I had never seen him in anything but a white starched shirt and a gray tie.  The changed unnerved me. He was pulling at the hem of my favorite nightgown-a pattern of Texas bluebonnets bunched into nosegays tied with ribbon against a field of nappy white cotton. I had tucked my knees under it to make a tent. He could easily have yanked the thing over my head with one motion, but something made him gentle. "Show me the marks," he said. "Come on now. I won't hurt you." He had watery blue eyes behind thick glasses, and a mustache that looked like a caterpillar. " Please? Just pull this up and show me where it hurts," he said. He held a piece of hem between thumb and forefinger. I wasn't crying and I don't remember any pain, but he talked to me in that begging voice he used when he had a long needle hidden behind his back. I liked him but didn't much trust him. The room I shared with my sister was dark, but I didn't fancy hiking  my gown up with strangers milling around in the living room.


What do you think? Would you read on?  Have you already read this one?   It is the next read for my face to face book club.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

15 comments:

  1. I have already read this one. Several years ago with a book club. Since Mary Karr is from Texas, it was part of our schedule one year. It was good, if a bit depressing. But that's Mary Karr for you. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read anything else by Mary Karr. I just started today though. The introduction is very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I have read a couple of her books, and have this one waiting on my trunk/coffee table in my office. I don't know what's holding me back...but now I am moving it up on the stack. I have a bad feeling about what is going to happen next.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too imagined all sorts of scenarios from this first paragraph. I went back to read the introduction, this book was written as a memoir not fiction. Interesting, yes?

      Delete
  3. I feel a certain need to know what's going on with this little girl and the doctor. My mind is imaging all sorts of things. I've never read this author, so I will have to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how it goes. I just am getting started.

      Delete
  4. Like Kay, I read this years ago with a book club. I don't recall much of the story, but I know I didn't enjoy it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what my reaction will be. Already I have heard from another book club member and I don't think she is very impressed.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like it's going to be a tough read, but, I like those kinds of stories so I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that I find this one to be intriguing and not too depressing. I am just getting started.

      Delete
  6. I have just started and first am reading the introduction. It gives a good background as to why Ms Karr wrote this book as a memoir and not fiction. That makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read it but I'm thinking I'm going have to pick it up. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it would be a tough read for me. It sure looks like a book dealing with abuse issues, and I find those very hard to stick with, as they make me feel so depressed....Maybe there's a silver lining in this one, though, so I'll be sure to check it out on Goodreads. Hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete