Tuesday, February 9, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Of Moths and Butterflies


Every Tuesday Diane hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where she shares the first paragraph sometimes two from a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. Share a book you are interested in reading and link up at Diane's blog, Bibliophile by the Sea.






Of Moths and Butterflies
V.R. Christensen
Captive Press Publishing 2011



Part One
People have very little idea how great are the injuries which imprudence draws on them, or they would not despise this homely virtue. Especially for young women is prudence required in the conduct of love affairs. There is no end to the tale of misery we could tell resulting from its want. Marriage would not be the lottery it is, if girls would exercise a little prudence. They should never engage themselves to a man of whom they know nothing - the past of their future husband ought to be clear to them.  
Laura, Valentine, The Young Woman's Book



Does this introduction to Part One intrigue you or are you turned off by the language?  I'll admit I really knew nothing about this book except it was by a Goodreads author, it was historical fiction set in the 1800's and the cover took my breath away.



Stay Busy and Stay Happy

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, the language is so stilted I probably won't pick this one up. Hope you enjoy it though. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Enjoy! I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesday-betting-on-hope-2916.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely cover with the butterfly and the grand house. I'd probably need to read a bit more to see if it would be for me. The language reminds me of an Austen book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a gorgeous cover. I've read one other by this author and it was fairly good so I would continue. Here's my Intro for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The language definitely reminds me of historical books, and while I read a lot of these when I was young, I don't usually choose to read them now. But I love that cover...and this one does sound intriguing. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I found the language slow-going, it seemed to set the tone for the message. In other words, young women should slow down and take care. Yes, I'm interested in knowing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure about the opening, but I would give the book a chance. It sounds like it might a good one once it gets going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cover a lot more than the intro...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover is lovely, but when the first sentence makes me work as hard as this one does... nope, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure about this one, but I'd keep reading to see if it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to read the opening twice, and I'm sure it would take a while to get used to the language. But if the story's good, it would be worth it. I hope you enjoy the book.
    My Tuesday post features THE GIVER.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The into did't grab me. I would have to read a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't care for he writing style, so I doubt I could continue.

    ReplyDelete