Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday 1-20-16 7 Little Words


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a place to share words found while reading or listening, or maybe even playing games. Write a post and link up with Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog. 


I play 7 Little Words. After solving the scrambled tiles for
1) engage in a petty argument (6 letters)= bicker
2) political situation (9 letters)
3) uproar (8 letters)
4) exchange of punches= fisticuffs
5)angry dispute= quarrel
6)noisy brawl=fray
7)petty argument=spat.
I still had these sets of letters. ROW, IM,  BRO, DY, IO, DOW, GL


When I finally guessed just by trying all combinations I came up with these words and the puzzle was correct. I had never heard either  of these words. 


#2  political situation = imbroglio

1: a confused mass 

2a: an intricate or complicated situation (as in a drama or novel)

 b: an acutely painful or embarrassing misunderstanding   

 c: a violently confused or bitterly complicated altercation: embroilment

 d: scandal  



#3 uproar = rowdydow

1: noisy excitement: hubbub, to-do

2a: a noisy disturbance or spirited contest: brawl, fight

b: a boisterous party: spree



Do you play 7 Little Words?  Did you know rowdydow or imbroglio? What words did you find this week? 






















8 comments:

  1. I've played that game a time or two but I'm not that great at it. Maybe because of words like that? I love rowdydow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not great either, but occasionally I can figure out the last couple by using my English rules. Like LY is probably at the end of a word. Sometimes I have to log on to the Cheat site. "hangs head in shame"

      Delete
  2. I used to play that years ago when it appeared in the newspaper, but I haven't for a long time. I did just this week discover similar games on the Merriam-Webster web site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play on my Kindle. It's a free app. I'll have to check out the MW site. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. 7 Little Words is new to me. Is it a tile game like scrabble or on iPad? Imbroglio I've seen before but probably would have to guess at the definition. Rowdydow is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play it on my Kindle. I am sure it's a free app for the iPad too. I have a friend that plays on her iPhone...so it must be there. It is kind of fun, a new puzzle every day.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Usually the words are not so "wondrous". Sometimes I just can't work out the clue. But I am learning.

      Delete