Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday 1-13-16


Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts this weekly meme and gives us a chance to celebrate words we encounter while reading or elsewhere. Join us by posting about some favorite words and then linking up at Kathy's blog.

livelihood - noun

simple definition: a way of earning money in order to live

or: 1) means of support or subsistence
      2)  obsolete:  the quality or state of being lively.

When I encountered this word while reading Take Me With You, I knew what it meant. But the author used it a different way. Discussing climbing:

  "It's my livelihood, August."
   " No, it isn't."
   "How can you say that? You think I don't know my own livelihood?"


The discussion continues with the adult suggesting that the young man's love of climbing is his raison d'etre. His reason for existence.

Ten pages later I came across a word that I had never heard before.

abseil - verb

  August wondered if Seth could give up and abseil down if he didn't want to go on. 

from Wikipedia:
"abseiling from German  abseilen, meaning "to rope down", also called rappelling, is the controlled descent of a vertical drop, such as a rock face, using a rope."

My son and daughter-in-law are climbers and I know the word rappel. So I learned something new this week. And that is what Wondrous Words Wednesday is all about.


Have a great rest of the week.
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



4 comments:

  1. I've heard of rappelling, but not the words here, so I learned something too! Thanks Judy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rapelling is a word I wish I didn't know as I had a very scary experience once trying to do just that. I froze and wouldn't let my arms let go of the rope and move down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting use of the word livelihood. I'm scared of heights so would never consider climbing and don't know any climbing words.

    ReplyDelete