Friday, January 15, 2016

Review: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed


Title:   Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail
Author: Cheryl Strayed
Publisher :  Alfred Knopf   2012



Goodreads:

At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone.
Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.



My thoughts:

I found this story to be an honest, raw telling of a remarkable memoir. Some others have said they hated it!  I have no idea why. I am not a literary critic, I am an old lady who likes to read books. Books that share someone's life, books that tell stories I have never heard, books that take me places that I will never visit. Who am I to judge someone else's journey. I have not walked their walk.

I found Cheryl's story to be well told. I have never seen much of California, San Diego for a weekend and a step over the border near Reno NV.  I could see the landscape as she described it. I could smell the desert and the forest. I could share her fear of the unknown, the dark shadows. I could not have continued as long as she did with feet that blistered and bled and shed their toenails. I am in awe of her courage, her tenacity, her honesty. Maybe we didn't need to hear of her "before" lifestyle. But I think it is what drove her to this journey. Maybe we didn't need to hear about her "sex on the beach" so to speak, but it was honest. We are all human, with desires and wants, needs and fears.

I loved this book. I will recommend it to others. I now want to see the movie and I will read other books by this author, as well as the books she read on her quest.



Stay Busy and Stay Happy







This book is : TBR Triple Dog Dare
                                                       Read What You Buy

5 comments:

  1. Hey Judy! I feel like I’ve met a kindred spirit. I liked the book too, and like you, I’m not a critic, I just like to read and share my thoughts on what I’ve read. You may just be ‘an old lady’ — ha! I can relate—but your relayed your thoughts beautifully. Did you see the movie? I liked it as well. So very glad you dropped by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet. I wanted to read the book first. Hope to get to it soon.

      Delete
  2. PS I just tried to subscribe but I can’t remember my password to sign in. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved the book. And I love your thoughts - as one old lady to another - I totally agree with you. As readers, our opinions are just as important as anyone else's. Cheryl Strayed did something I won't ever be able to do and I respect her for that. I'm glad she wrote the book, taking us along with her. Didn't you just love her inclusion of various books? She's also a real reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our book club read this one. It took me awhile to get into because I didn't know her and so it was a little why do I need to know. Overall I enjoyed it at the end, she was courageous, mentally prepared but definitely didn't prepare correctly which was funny to me.

    ReplyDelete