Saturday, January 16, 2016

Saturday Snapshots - January 16th


Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads hosts Saturday Snapshots. To participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at Melinda's blog.  Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.



I have had a Christmas cactus for many years. Most years in blooms pretty well. Not loaded but showy enough. This year only one small bloom. This is yesterday. 


And this is in the early morning today. I apologize for the exposure. It is dark outside and Mr. Busy is still sleeping. 

Normally my green thumb is pretty good. New Year's Day my second amaryllis looked like this:

And then this morning:
This is the second bloom stalk and the one from above is dying in the background. They are gorgeous but they don't last long.  

 This morning I woke up to more snow. Not much but a "skiff" just the same. 

It is still January after all, but my enthusiasm is waning. I don't enjoy the cold at all anymore. 

Last night we watched 3 episodes of House of Cards on Netflix. OMG, I love Kevin Spacey. I hate his character, but he is such a great actor. And Robin Wright is so good as First Lady, Claire Underwood. Can't wait for season 4 in March 2016. 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy

16 comments:

  1. I love House of Cards, too, and can't wait for Season 4! I loved Robin Wright...and Kevin as an actor, but yes, his character has some flaws...LOL.

    Thanks for sharing those lovely flowers...and for visiting my blog.

    I get the scalloped edges through PicMonkey...the subscription version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Frank Underwood is a character that you can hate, but must watch to see who or what is his undoing!

      Delete
  2. Nice to have some flowers indoor for January. I had a Christmas cactus that bloomed whenever it wanted to. Sometimes I got two blooms a year, so maybe you'll get more yet. Forgetting to water it seemed to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that forgetting to water does seem to encourage them to bloom! Maybe that is what I did wrong, too much attention! "smile"

      Delete
  3. Your amaryllis looks beautiful. I've enjoyed the snow, but it doesn't take much for me to be finished with it either.
    I watched the first season of House of Cards, but I can't stand the idea that politicians, or even people, are that cruel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a character that you despise. Great acting though, and I wonder if that is the way of Washington, so much corruption! Hmmmmmm?

      Delete
  4. Well, at least it's a pretty bloom! My step-mother has enormous Christmas cactuses with gorgeous blooms every year - she has a real green thumb (mine is black! lol). We haven't seen a single flake of snow yet this year! Hope you are enjoying the weekend -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bloom is quite pretty. Interesting when they open up with all the little petals. I do not have the green thumb that my sister has, but mine is OK, most of the time.

      Delete
  5. We watched and enjoyed the first season of HoC but haven't made time to see the rest - we must....one day....
    I love that your zygocactus flower at Christmas....ours, of course, flower around May/June to brighten up our winter days :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this one. It was a gift from my sister, one she inherited from a friend's mother. I wonder if I should re=pot, but I am reluctant.

      Delete
  6. Your blooming amaryllis is beautiful. I really like growing Christmas cactus' because they aren't a lot of work. Mine, however, usually bloom around Thanksgiving and then stop by Christmas. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amaryllis are showy beautiful bloomers, but they are short-lived. I have two that my DIL's mother gave to me when she moved from SD to Arizona and could not take them. I was happy to be the recipient of such a gift.

      Delete
  7. Lovely blooms, my father used to grow zygocactus when I was growing up. The amaryllis is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will accept any bright blooms in the gloom of Winter.

      Delete
  8. have to yet watch House..Love Kevin Spacey and that will be the main reason for me to watch.. your amaryllis is lovely.. my thumb - not so green :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get you with the waning enthusiasm. I like winter until January 2nd...and then I want Spring!

    ReplyDelete