Sunday, January 17, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? The Mermaid Chair and Emma




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you are and about to be reading over the week.  It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever-growing TBR pile!  This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. So share what you are reading this week and link up with Book Date.


This week I am still trying to read Emma by Jane Austen. I will persevere. 
I really am thinking of finding the audio version and read it along with the print book. 





And I have started to read  The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.


From Goodreads: 

Sue Monk Kidd's phenomenal debut, The Secret Life of Bees, became a runaway bestseller that is still on the New York Times bestseller list more than two years after its paperback publication. Now, in her luminous new novel, Kidd has woven a transcendent tale that will thrill her legion of fans. Telling the story of Jessie Sullivan -- a love story between a woman and a monk, a woman and her husband, and ultimately a woman and her own soul -- Kidd charts a journey of awakening and self-discovery illuminated with a brilliance that only a writer of her ability could conjure. 


I am just starting on this one. So far it lives up to my expectations of wonderful prose from Sue Monk Kidd.  It will meet requirements for at least 3 of my 2016 Challenges. 






A book with an item of furniture in the title. 






It may even qualify for the Women's Fiction Challenge. I really won't know for sure until I have finished. 



Stay Happy and Stay Busy



6 comments:

  1. Maybe Emma on audio would be really good, especially if the narrator(s) are good. I haven't read Sue Monk Kidd and this one sounds really interesting. Will be waiting to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think of the Mermaid Chair so far? I added it to my TBR after loving The Secret Life of Bee's. Then I read The Invention of Wings and it was just ok, so I'm kind of reluctant to read any more of her books..

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice book for the Challenge item with furniture in title, good luck with Emma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are enjoying The Mermaid Chair. Nice how you are fitting the books into your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire how you're persevering through Jane's work. I like her but reading the conversations of characters is a like maze. I'm happier w/audio versions. I have Pride & Prejudice + Sense and Sensibility under my belt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma is my next-to-least favorite Austen book. She annoyed me. I'm a Persuasion/Captain Wentworth girl all the way. Hang in there! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete