Sunday, January 24, 2016

It's Monday! What Are Reading? Deep Down Dark


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you are and about to be reading over the week.  It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever-growing TBR pile!  This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. So share what you are reading this week and link up with Book Date.

On my Kindle:

Deep Down Dark
Hector Tobar
Farrar, Straus and Giroux/ Picador

From Goodreads and edited by me:

When the San Jose mine collapsed outside of Copiapo, Chile, in August 2010, it trapped thirty-three miners beneath thousands of feet of rock for a record-breaking sixty-nine days. Across the globe, we sat riveted to television and computer screens as journalists flocked to the Atacama desert. While we saw what transpired above ground during the grueling and protracted rescue, the story of the miners experiences below the earth's surface and the lives that led them there hasn't been heard until now. In this masterwork of a Pulitzer Prizewinning journalist, Hector Tobar gains exclusive access to the miners and their stories. The result is a miraculous and emotionally textured account of the thirty-three men who came to think of the San Jose mine as a kind of coffin, as a cave inflicting constant and thundering aural torment, and as a church where they sought redemption through prayer while the world watched from above. It offers an understanding of the families and personal histories that brought los 33 to the mine, and the mystical and spiritual elements that surrounded working in such a dangerous place.


This is the current read for my Face to Face book club. I hope the book editing is better than the Goodreads synopsis.  I do not speak Spanish, but in the blurb from Goodreads, Copiapo the city in Chile was misspelled, as was Hector's name. Also several just bad typing errors. In the last sentence, the word los precedes 33 and I am not sure just what may have been intended. Maybe "these"? Anyway, I could not leave it here with all those obvious errors.

I have put Emma on hold for awhile, until I can acquire the audio version from my library.


 Print Book:

I will probably start on a new Cozy Mystery I won in December from a giveaway at Beth Fist Reads blog. I am looking forward to it.

                                                                  See   Goodreads

 
Hope everyone has a good week.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy





4 comments:

  1. Oh, being trapped underground for 69 days would be a nightmare! And not knowing if one would be saved...frightening.

    Love the look of Here Today, Gone Tamale. Enjoy! Here are
    MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks like a fun cozy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the blurb probably meant "the 33" though I guess they should have said that if it's an English translation. Sounds intense!

    I have the Rebecca Adler cozy to read too. I love Tex-Mex restaurants, so it should be fun. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of that cozy. So clever.

    The trapped under ground book would be frightening for me. I remember the TV coverage of this disaster.

    I hope you had a good week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete