Tuesday, January 19, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - The Mermaid Chair - 1-19-16







Tuesdays I like to link up with Diane at Bibliophile by The Sea to share the First Chapter First Paragraph of a book that I am reading or plan to read soon. Today I share two paragraphs. If you would like to join us, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book, then link up at Diane's blog.


The Mermaid Chair
Sue Monk Kidd
Penguin Books 2005


PROLOGUE

    In the middle of my marriage, when I was above all Hugh's wife and Dee's mother, one of those unambiguous women with no desire to stir the universe, I fell in love with a Benedictine monk.


CHAPTER ONE

    February 17, 1988, I opened my eyes and heard a procession of sounds: first the phone going off on the opposite side of the bed, rousing us at 5:04 am to what could only be a calamity, then rain pummeling the roof of our old Victorian house, sluicing its sneaky way to the basement, and finally small puffs of air coming from Hugh's lower lip, each one perfectly time, like a metronome. 


So what do you think? Would you read on?

I picked this book up a while ago, after reading The Secret Life of Bees and Traveling With Pomegranates, both by Sue Monk Kidd. I since have read The Invention of Wings, I love her writing. I chose both the first paragraph of the prologue and the first chapter to give a bit of insight into the book.

I am on page 23 and anxious to continue.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

9 comments:

  1. I've been aware of this book for a while, but haven't read it. The phrase 'I fell in love with a Benedictine monk' is certainly intriguing. Might have to check this one out soon. And I hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this. I have read all of this author's other books and for some reason have missed this one. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I've read this one and enjoyed it more than Traveling with Pomegranates. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Secret Life of Bees, but I haven't read her other books...now I must! I love the opening lines, which made me want to know these characters. Thanks! So I must go check this one out. Glad you could visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one and hope you will too. I know not everyone was as happy with it though. Like you, I love her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Sue Monk Kidd too. Up next for me is The Invention of Wings. I'm not sure why I decided to skip The Mermaid Chair. The quotes you shared are rather intriguing. Maybe I should reconsider. I'll wait to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this years ago and did enjoy it. Keep reading;)

    ReplyDelete