Monday, January 11, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - Wild -1-11-16


Every Tuesday I join First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where Diane shares the first paragraph sometimes two from a book she is reading or plans to read soon. Join us at Bibliophile By the Sea and see what others are reading. 


I have wanted to read this book and see the movie since I first downloaded onto my Kindle. I am a fan of Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern. Guess I will read the book first, then watch the movie. 




Title: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail
Author: Cheryl Strayed
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House

PROLOGUE

   The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California. Moments before, I'd removed my hiking boots and the left one had fallen into those trees, first catapulting into the air when my enormous backpack toppled onto it, then skittering across the gravelly trail and flying over the edge, It bounced off of a rocky outcropping several feet beneath me before disappearing into the forest canopy below, impossible to retrieve. I let out a stunned gasp, though I'd been in the wilderness thirty-eight days and by then I'd come to know that anything could happen and that everything would. But that doesn't mean I wasn't shocked when it did. My boot was gone. Actually gone.
   I clutched its mate to my chest like a baby, though of course it was futile. What is one boot without the other boot? It is nothing. It is useless, an orphan forevermore, and I could take no mercy on it. It was a big lug of a thing, of genuine heft, a brown leather Raichle boot with a red lace and silver metal fasts. I lifted it high and threw it with all my might and watched it fall into the lush trees and out of my life.

What do you think? Would you continue?  Or have you already read this one?

I started this one last night and although I am only on page 26, I am already loving it.  Cheryl is one tough cookie. I think she gets her tenacity from her mother.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

21 comments:

  1. I'm certainly intrigued enough by that opener to want to know more, is that a metaphorical way that the protagonist is getting rid of things from her life I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure Cleo. That excerpt is from the prologue and so far in the story she has just started her journey.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved this book. I read it with my eldest daughter. We talked a lot about it and then saw the movie together. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, although I must say it's not for everyone. Our family has done a lot of hiking and so it really appealed on that level. It also prompted lots of discussion about the roles of women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you liked it Margot. I had heard other views, maybe that is why it languished so long at the back of my kindle. So far I am liking it.

      Delete
  3. I have not read this one, as yet. I have heard a bit about it and wondered if I would like it. I'm still wondering, but....what is she going to do without her boots? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought of at first too, Kay. Can't imagine hiking without boots or shoes of some kind.

      Delete
  4. I hated this book and I didn't like the movie either. I've done a lot of backpacking -- and I still hated this. Good luck. Hope your experience is more like Margot's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is too bad! I want to like it, but I have not ever backpacked and at my age, likely will not ever. Guess we will see. Thanks for commenting though. ps: yours is the very first blog I ever followed when I entered this wonderful world of bloggers.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to read this one. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far is is good. I hope it continues.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Wild, but I know many have and loved it. This opening has me intrigued though - I like the style of telling, and feel like there is perhaps a deeper level to this specific event than just the loss of the boot.

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Jade. She is a young women in search of something it seems to me.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are enjoying this one so far! My mom loved the book and the film. I haven't read or seen either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be able to write a decent review. Glad to know your mom liked it. I am likely her age or maybe older. :)

      Delete
  8. I started watching the movie and just couldn't get into it...I hate hiking and back-packing, so that is probably why. LOL. I do like the idea of people doing this kind of thing, though, and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Laurel that you didn't like it. You and I often have the same taste in books. I am going to keep going.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive vibe. Often there are differences of opinion. Good thing we don't all like that same things, I always say!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed this book so much. Saw the author with Oprah on one Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I say an interview once also. But I really enjoyed seeing an interview with Reese Witherspoon. I'll never backpack by myself, but I have often wondered how I would do alone on an adventure. I have been married since I was 18, so not much alone time in the last 51 years!

      Delete
  11. My book group is reading this one this month - I tried it once before and did not like it, but many others loved it.

    ReplyDelete