Tuesday, January 5, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Take Me With You

 My reading has slowed down over the last few weeks. I can only attribute it to the Holiday Bustle and the Winter Doldrums. It hasn't been exceptionally cold here, snow yes but I should be used to that. It seems in recent years the cold takes a toll on my body. My arthritis flares up and I just hurt all over. I just want to nap or spend time with my laptop.
Ok.. so enough of the whining!   I am linking up with Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea for the First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros for 2016.



Take Me With You
Catherine Ryan Hyde
Lake Union Publishing 2014


Part One:
Early June

Chapter One:
August, Standing Still

     August Shroeder stood at the rear door of his broken-down motor home looking out through the small square window. Had he looked out any other window - the windshield, the side windows, the little window over the kitchen sink - he'd have seen the inside of a mechanic's garage. He wanted to see sky. He'd come out here to see sky. Not toolboxes and racks of new tires and hydraulic lifts.
     He stepped out the door, down the two metal steps, and walked into the mechanic's garage. He stepped in front of the open hood where the mechanic could see him. The man straightened up, stretching his lower back again one hand. He wiped his hands on a red shop rag. Wiped his forehead on one dirty sleeve.


What do you think? Would you read on?


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

11 comments:

  1. Oh, there is something intense and suspenseful about these moments in the excerpt, as if something dramatic is about to happen. I do want to read more, and I've recently discovered this author and enjoyed her. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're expecting rain today, which is much needed. I love the rain, but I would much rather be home curled up on my couch with a book rather than at work, knowing I have to drive in it to get home. I hope that because of the warmer weather your aches and pains haven't been as bad this winter. It does seem the older we get, the more the weather affects us though, doesn't it?

    I love Catherine Ryan Hyde and would definitely keep reading Take Me With You. I hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The opening made me curious. Is the man living in the motorhome? Where is he going? Or is he stuck wherever the RV broke down? I'd keep reading to find out!
    My Tuesday post features JEWEL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard such excellent things about Catherine Ryan Hyde and I really like that opener - hope this one helps the winter seem less miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the opener, but I'd need to read a bit more to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That opening paragraph is quite the teaser. I need to know what's wrong with the engine and so forth. Yeah, I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i liked that intro a lot Judy - hoping this makes for a great reading start for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd have to read further, but I've heard good things about this author. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love CRH's books, so I've already read this one. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would keep on reading. The cold weather reeks havoc on my body too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read other books by this author, so I would probably give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete