Friday, January 29, 2016

Book Beginnings and The Friday 56 - Deep Down Dark


Today I am joining Book Beginning on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice. I haven't joined in here in quite a while. But I am engaged in this book this week and wanted to share. 

Prologue: Cities in the Desert

The San Jose Mine is located inside a round, rocky, and lifeless mountain in the Atacama Desert in Chile. Wind is slowly eroding the surface of the mountain into a fine, grayish orange powder that flows downhill and gathers in pools and dunes. 

This book is the February read for my local book club. I really wasn't interested in reading it. I thought it would be dark and depressing. But, the majority rules and so it was added to our list. I started it and was immediately involved in the lives of the Chilean miners. The author is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist  and novelist. He is of Guatemalan descent but was born in Los Angeles. Also, this week my husband was watching The History Channel and the story of the American company that drilled down to the miners was featured. It was very interesting and made it seem more real to me. I do remember the news reports when the accident happened. 



Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine and the Miracle That Set Them Free
Hector Tobar
Farrar, Straus and Giroux on my Kindle




"There are twenty of us here ready to provide you with immediate help," the minister says. "How are you? How do you find yourselves?"
"Well. We are well. In good spirits, waiting for you to rescue us," Urzua answers, though his voice is hurried and uncertain. 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy


11 comments:

  1. Suspenseful and frightening! Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And your welcome, I love visiting all your blogs.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating story. And great that you recall it being on the news. Here's my Friday Book Confession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  3. I remember when this happened and I can imagine it makes for page turning reading. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of it until a fellow book club member brought a copy to a meeting.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure on this on. Sounds like it could be interesting but I worry it may have drug out boring parts. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far not really boring. The author spends some time telling us all about the miners and their families. Very interesting so far.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book. I remember when it happened, I was glued to CNN to see if they would get out alright. Was glad they did.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit worried, but so far it is very interesting.

      Delete
  6. I remember when this happened - sounds like it would be a fascinating read.

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete