Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 12/2/15



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, write a post then go to Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog and link up.



I came across this word while reading the blurb and intro from Laurel-Rain Snow's post about The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian.
What she does not expect is this: bacchanalian drunkenness, her husband sharing a dangerously intimate moment in the guest room, and two women stabbing and killing their Russian bodyguards before driving off into the night.

I was pretty sure I understood the word as used in the sentence , but I was unfamiliar with the word. So I went to my Merriam Webster online dictionary.

bacchanalia - noun : A Roman of festival of Bacchus celebrated with dancing, song and revelry and as an adjective.   bacchanalian . The dictionary also defines this word as orgy 2 and orgy 3. I probably don't need to go into the definitions of this word. Either 2 or 3.  


Another word from my MW Word of the Day: from November 27th  -  

Minatory  - adj.        having a menacing quality. 

In the moonlight, the twisted winter trees took on a particularly baleful and minatory appearance.


Did you find any extra special words this week? 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy




3 comments:

  1. Minatory sounds familiar but I couldn't define it. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I copied down bacchanalia from Laurel-Rain's post too. The word threw me right there in the smooth flow of that paragraph. I may still use it in a future Wondrous Words, but I'm not sure it's a word I would use in every day language. Fun to collect though, right?

    ReplyDelete