Saturday, December 5, 2015

Saturday Snapshots Dec 5 2015 Old Fashioned Christmas Card


Saturday Snapshots is hosted by Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads. Go to her blog, read the few rules and shares some photos from your life. 

My Dad was a amateur photographer. In those days it was mostly black and white film. He built a small darkroom under the stair in our basement and sometimes let us help. It was like magic.



This photo was made into a family Christmas card. I have one sister and two brothers. My youngest brother was born in January 1955 and I think he looks about 2 here. So I think this is Christmas 1956. We all have names that start with "J", Judy, Jane, Judd and Jeff, so this card said Merry Christmas from Lorraine, Tommy and the 4 Jays.  My mom borrowed the capes from the children's choir at church and I remember my mom standing on a chair so we would all look up at her.

I would be fun to get a similar picture now, but the boys are taller so they would have to be in the back or sitting on chairs in the front. I will have to approach my siblings to see if they are up for recreating this one.

This is the closest I have, it was taken at our mom's funeral in July of 2012.  Judd, Judy, Jane and Jeff.


Until next time

12 comments:

  1. Love your photos! Very touching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic this morning.

      Delete
  2. Glad you have a recent photo of the 4 of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we all live fairly close to each other. We live the farthest...150 miles to our hometown. So that is good.

      Delete
  3. What a cute photo, and it is nice to see you all today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We often are not all four together at the same time....grandchildren and other family commitments sometimes keep at least one of us missing.

      Delete
  4. Love this photo! I have one of me and my sister and two brothers. Not for a Xmas card - but just something my Dad snapped when we were all dressed up to go on an outing somewhere. We did recreate it about 8 years ago - but mainly just trying to stand the same way we did in the original. But it was hot, we were all in shorts - in a rush. But still fun to look at and giggle!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently got together with our four closest in age cousins and recreated some stairstep photos...oldest to youngest. It was so fun.

      Delete
  5. I particularly love old photos, your 1950s photo is so great- wonderful to see your modern selves, although it's always sad that family only get together at funerals- so common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the last time almost all of my kids were together was at my mom's funeral...but my oldest couldn't make it, since he lives in Europe.

    I love your 1950s Christmas card. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old photos like that and knowing the story behind it makes this one even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a sweet post and sent me remembering my own old family photos. I had another memory as well - all three of my own children's names start with C. I used to send out Christmas cards that said ". . . and the three C's". Fun memory - Thanks Judy.

    ReplyDelete