Tuesday, December 1, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. December 1 Every Last One


Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this meme as a way to share the beginnings of a book you are currently reading or hope to read soon. It's a great way to get a peek into a book that you might not have considered trying. 




Every Last One
Anna Quindlen
Random House 2010


     This is my life: The alarm goes off at five-thirty with the murmuring of a public-radio announcer, telling me that  there has been  a coup in Chad, a tornado in Texas. My husband stirs briefly next to me, turns over, blinks, and falls back to sleep for another hour. My robe lies at the foot of the bed, printed cotton in the summer, tufted chenille for the cold. The coffeemaker comes on in the kitchen below as I leave the bathroom, go downstairs in bare feet, pause to put away a pair of boots left splayed in  the downstairs back hallway and to lift the newspaper from the back step. The umber quarry tiles in the kitchen were a bad choice; they are always cold. I let the dog out of her kennel  and put a cup of kibble in her bowl. I hate early mornings, the suspended animation of the world outside, the veil of black and then the oppressive gray of the horizon along the hills outside the French doors. Bit it is the only time I can rest without sleeping, think without deciding, speak and hear my onw voice. It is the only time I can be alone. Slightly less than an hour each weekday when no one makes demands. 

So would you read more. This sounds like the life a lot of us lead or maybe led in the past. I know I still get up early just to have some time alone with my computer and my thoughts. Ms Quindlen dedicated this book to her children, "who saved my life."  I hope to start this one later this week. 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

11 comments:

  1. I want to read more. I can identify with the narrator - maybe more in years past when life was a lot more hectic. I do love Anna Quindlen too. You have good reading ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard good things about this book and have had it on my radar for awhile. I hope you are enjoying it!

    My mornings are often so rushed. If I sleep in until 5:30 a.m., it's even more rushed. Weekends are a bit different--my favorites are the ones in which daughter is still asleep when I get up, but that's pretty rare too. It's usually her that wakes me up on those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book...and when I saw it here, I started searching for my copy...and alas, while I have kept some books by the author, I don't have this one!

    What I love about the author, though, is how she draws the reader into the ordinary lives of the characters. From the alarm to the ordinary and routine moments of a day, we can feel like we're inside her skin.

    Hope you are loving it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt loves Quindlen and keeps telling me I need to read her, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I loved the writing in this intro, especially this sentence:

    "I hate early mornings, the suspended animation of the world outside, the veil of black and then the oppressive gray of the horizon along the hills outside the French doors. Bit it is the only time I can rest without sleeping, think without deciding, speak and hear my onw voice. It is the only time I can be alone. Slightly less than an hour each weekday when no one makes demands."

    I agree...except I love early mornings for the exact reason she mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna Quindlen is a favorite! I prefer her nonfiction, but always enjoy her novels, too. This one was no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Quindlen, especially her nonfiction. But this was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this wonderful beginning and want to know more about the point-of-view character. Such great description of an early morning. I'll read this book for sure.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the only book by Quindlen I've read is Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, which I enjoyed. I'd keep reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how Quindlen wrote and I thought this one was pretty good - enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so familiar, did I read it already? Have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So little time for herself. I would read this one.

    ReplyDelete