Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Every Wednesday, Kathy hosts this meme to celebrate wondrous words we find while reading, or listening or in our other day to day lives. Share your recent discoveries and then link up at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog.

Both of these words were found while reading Every Last One by Anna Quindlen last week.





"This tree is probably a hundred years old and it's probably not going to get much older. It's a shame; it is a glorious tree, the kind that looks immutable."

immutable:  adj
1) unable to be changed
2) not capable of or susceptible to change.


This word though not new to me is one I do not use often. I like the sounds of it and I need to get more familiar with it so I can use it more easily.


"That foolish man, with the bright blue eyes and his seductive grin, might have thought he was doing it out of expiation, but if he did it  it was because he knew it was the perfect form of torture."


expiation:  noun

1)  the act of making atonement
2)  the means by which atonement is made


Do you sometimes have to work at using a new word in your day to day language?  Is it worth it?


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





And Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it. Happy Holidays to those of you of different faith.

2 comments:

  1. Both of those words feel familiar to me but I couldn't define either one. I think they remind me of other words. Thanks for playing along during such a busy week.

    ReplyDelete