Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 11-11-15



Did you find an interesting wondrous word in your reading this week?   I did not, so will share a few from the Word of the Day emails from Merriam Webster people.

_______________________________________________________________________________

 gadfly - noun

1 : any of various flies that bite or annoy livestock

2 : a person who stimulates or annoys especially by persistent criticism


Ms. Johnson has long been a gadfly at town meetings, and I've grown weary of her attempts to hector the town council into doing as she sees fit.

_______________________________________________________________________________

lucullan - adjective

: lavish, luxurious


"For most, gaining a few easily shed pounds is a small price to pay for a week or two of Lucullan bliss." — Kevin Doyle, The Cond√© Nast Traveler, November 1994

______________________________________________________________________________

I can't see me using either of these words in my daily life, but it is fun to know them.  Come play along with us. Share a word or words you discovered this week. Just link up at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog

















4 comments:

  1. I knew gadfly when you're referring to a person but didn't realize there really is a gadfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see myself using gadfly - although I'll probably get strange looks. Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also knew gadfly. Lucullan however is new to me. I will have to try that one out.

    ReplyDelete