Monday, November 30, 2015

The Escape Artist by Diane Cahmberlain

The Escape ArtistThe Escape Artist by Diane Chamberlain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Susanna Miller has lost legal custody of her small son, Tyler. Her ex-husband Jim and his new wife Peggy can provide him more financial security. No one however could love him more, and she will not give him up easily. In fact she has decided that she can't give him up at all. So she plans an escape.

Her longtime childhood friend turned lover, has no idea she plans to leave Boulder and him. She knows that letting him know anything puts him in position to lie for her and she can't do that to Linc Sebastian.

Although some readers have mentioned that this story feels far-fetched, I don't fell that way. I have an aunt whose own mother disappeared after her last child was out of high school and they have never heard from her since. That was a long time ago, and this story too was written in 1997, before 9/11. It wouldn't happen so easily these days. Although we hear about identity theft, I'm not sure about how easily you could get a driver's license etc. All in all, I enjoyed this story. I felt empathy for Susanna/Kimberly as she struggled to keep her story secret yet be open to the help of others.


View all my reviews

I am linking this review to Book Date's meme, It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  ps: I am aware that the title to this post has a typo, but I have already linked up with Book Date so don't think I can fix it. (Embarassed!)

I hope to start Mr. Miracle by Debbie Macomber today.

And later this week, I hope to start Emma by Jane Austen for a Read-along.


I also have two other books from the library that need to be read too.

Every Last One by Anna Quindlan

and Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline.



Stay Busy and Stay Happy

7 comments:

  1. Interesting assortment of books. I hope you enjoy the ones coming up on your stack. Here is my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only discovered Diane Chamberlain's work last year (late to the game, I know) but I don't think you can go wrong with her novels.

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Diane Chamberlain book sounds interesting and the real life story even more so. Will read it too at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read Chamberlain for a while - I just have to figure out which book to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the Diane Chamberlain book. I've read several of her books and have liked all of them. This is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had some great reading this week. I'm amazed at how Debbie Macomber can crank out them books like Nora Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma is my second favorite Jane Austen book. You have many pleasant reading hours ahead of you. Alexander McCall Smith (#1 Ladies Detective) has a new version of Emma. It's called Emma: A Modern Retelling. I haven't read it yet and it may be a while. I'm number 32 at the library. If you like Emma, you might want to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete