Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday - 10.28.15



Today I am using words from my last two Word of the Day emails from Merriam Webster. My reading has not provided me wondrous words lately. Share some wondrous words you have encountered then link up at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog.



dots
 
delectation
 
noun
 
:
delight, enjoyment

Spending time with our great grandson provides many hours of delectation






dots
 
slapstick
 
noun
 
:
a device made of two flat pieces of wood fastened at one end so as to make a loud noise when used by an actor to strike a person
 
:
comedy stressing farce and horseplay; also : activity resembling slapstick


I knew the 2nd definition and probably deep in my brain even knew the first one. But my go to definition was slapstick as a kind of comedy. 
When I think of slapstick comedy I think of the 3 Stooges.




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay happy
 

5 comments:

  1. :) Slapstick makes me think of the three stooges, too! And a lotta slappin' goin' on with those fellows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, we are all of the same generation. Slapstick = The Three Stooges for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew slapstick because my mom enjoys that kind of comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of the same thing as well when thinking about slapstick. I'm not sure I'd heard of the other definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 Stooges all the way with slapstick! Love learning the origins, thanks, Judy!

    ReplyDelete