Monday, October 19, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10-19-15



Sheila at Book Journey has passed the baton of hosting this favorite Monday meme to Kathryn at Book Date. Do you like the new button? Sheila designed it and Kathryn decided to keep it for now. Tell us what you are reading or planning to read , then link up at Kathryn's blog, Book Date.


This week will be a good reading week for me. I am leaving Tuesday morning to sew with 10 other women at a ranch resort near Buffalo WY.  Although I will sew, sew, sew, there will be time in the room at night to read. I won't have meals to fix, nor laundry to do, nor will I have a roommate to be concerned about.

I want to read this one:

“If we know this story, we haven’t seen it yet in American fiction, not until now. . . . Deep, heartfelt.” —The New York Times Book Review

“Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet.” So begins this exquisite novel about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee, and her parents are determined that she will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue. But when Lydia’s body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together is destroyed, tumbling them into chaos. A profoundly moving story of family, secrets, and longing,Everything I Never Told You is both a gripping page-turner and a sensitive family portrait, uncovering the ways in which mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives struggle, all their lives, to understand one another.

The above is the synopsis from Goodreads. 


I also hope to start reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich. It has been on my list for quite awhile now and my F2F book club decided to read it for discussion in November. Yay!


From Goodreeads: 

One Sunday in the spring of 1988, a woman living on a reservation in North Dakota is attacked. The details of the crime are slow to surface as Geraldine Coutts is traumatized and reluctant to relive or reveal what happened, either to the police or to her husband, Bazil, and thirteen-year-old son, Joe. In one day, Joe's life is irrevocably transformed. He tries to heal his mother, but she will not leave her bed and slips into an abyss of solitude. Increasingly alone, Joe finds himself thrust prematurely into an adult world for which he is ill prepared.

While his father, who is a tribal judge, endeavors to wrest justice from a situation that defies his efforts, Joe becomes frustrated with the official investigation and sets out with his trusted friends, Cappy, Zack, and Angus, to get some answers of his own. Their quest takes them first to the Round House, a sacred space and place of worship for the Ojibwe. And this is only the beginning.
 

I am anticipating a great time with quilting friends and some unexpected but welcome alone time in the evening. 

Til next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. What a great week ahead for you! So relaxing....I enjoyed Everything I Never Told You, and I've been wanting to read The Round House. Thanks for sharing.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time at your sewing retreat. I hope you enjoy your books too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few ladies in my book club read THE ROUND HOUSE and enjoyed it.

    Have a wonderful reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sew sew sew - sounds great. I am just a new learner sewer and am sewing on the edge to my first ever quilt - which has a heap of errors but I have to begin somewhere. Enjoy the sewing and the night reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sewing retreat sounds awesome, enjoy yourself. Similar concept to the scrapbook retreat I'm off to in a couple of weeks. I love not having to cook or worry about anyone else. Both your books this week look good ... happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time away! The Round House will be perfect for book club discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a lovely time away. I hope you enjoy!!

    I've been meaning to read Everything I Never Told You for much too long. I will look forward to your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you have a wonderful week ahead of you - enjoy it! I'm also intrigued by the book you'll be reading.

    All Things Bookish – Jade Louise

    ReplyDelete