Tuesday, October 20, 2015

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday-The Round House 10-20-15

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By The Sea hosts this wonderful meme. It is a place to share the first few words of a book you are reading or hope to read soon. Write a post and link up with us at Diane's blog



I am away from home today at a quilting retreat. I hope that I will have some reading time at the end of the day back in my room. This is the next month's read for my Face to Face Book Club. Have you read it yet?


The Round House
Louise Erdrich
Harper Collins 2012
National Book Award for Fiction

Chapter One
 1988
Small trees had attacked my parent's house at the foundation. They were just seedlings with one or two rigid. healthy leaves. Nevertheless, the stalky shoots had managed to squeeze through knife cracks in the decorative brown shingles covering the cement blocks. They had grown into the unseen wall and it was difficult to pry them loose. My father wiped his palm across his forehead and damned their toughness. I was using a rusted old dandelion fork with a splintered handle; he wielded a long, slim fireplace poker that was probably doing more harm than good. As my father prodded away blindly at the placed where he sensed the roots might have penetrated, he was surely making convenient holes in the mortor for next year's seedlings. 


This first chapter paints quite a picture, don't you think?  But it doesn't give you an idea of what the book might be about. This is the first paragraph of the inside book flap.
 
One Sunday in the spring of 1988, a woman living on a reservation in North Dakota is attacked. The details of the crime are slow to surface as Geraldine Coutts is traumatized and reluctant to relive or reveal what happened, either to the police or to her husband, Bazil, and thirteen-year-old son, Joe. In one day, Joe's life is irrevocable transformed. He tries to heal his mother, but she will not leave her bed and slips into an abyss of solitude. Increasingly alone, Joe finds himself thrust prematurely into an adult world for which he is ill prepared. 


I am anxious to get started on this one. It has been on my TBR list for a couple of years and now is my chance! An added bonus, is that helps complete one category for my Favorite Book Challenge on Goodreads. WHoo Hoo!  It's an "R".


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

13 comments:

  1. It's not my style, but I hope you enjoy it! This is my Teaser/Intro for the week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing a lot about this book. The opening didn't really grab me, but the blurb did, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I remember when this one was released; I really wanted to try it, but never did. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing the intro; I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the retreat! I hope you had a good time. :-) I hope you enjoy Erdrich's book! I have heard good things about this one, but haven't yet read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one -- hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been eyeing this one for a while. I have read Shadow Tag by this author, and it was brilliant. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening makes me think that the father is ineffective -- making things worse instead of better! I'm wondering how that translates into what he does later in the book. I enjoy stories that feature family dynamics, and this sounds like a book I'd like.
    My Tuesday post features In His Arms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first paragraph is very moving. I have been hoping to read this author. Perhaps this is the book I should start on. Enjoy yourself at your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed both novels and short stories by this author and am always curious about award winners, so I'd give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds really good and I would keep reading! I'll look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know your book club with have a great discussion! Loved this book.

    ReplyDelete