Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday - The Bell Jar


Wednesdays are wondrous in this part of blogland. We can share words that we found while reading or listening. My words this week are from my recent read , The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

roman-a-clef - noun : a novel in which real persons or actual events figure under disguise.

---and in fact, Plath was quite insistent that it shouldn't be published in America because it's roman-a-clef elements would be hurtful to her family and friends.


sepulchral - adj:  very sad or serious, very dismal or gloomy

"My!", I said, in the same sepulchral tone. "That was quick!"


animalcules - noun :  a minute usually microscopic organism; nearly invisible to the naked eye.

.... and Buddy's arms went on waving feebly as antennae from the other side of the field swarming with tiny moving animalcules like germs, or bent bright exclamation marks.


Join us at Kathy's blog, Bermuda Onion's Weblog. You will learn a new word or at least you can show off your vocabulary and say you knew them all!!!  "grin"



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


4 comments:

  1. I thought I knew sepulchral but I was wrong. I've heard roman-a-clef but couldn't define it. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animalcules sounds like a made up word! Interesting post today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like animalcules and the sentence it was in. I imagined lots of frenzied activity. All good words today.

    ReplyDelete