Saturday, September 26, 2015

Saturday Snapshots Cousins Reunion 2015



I have been very absent from this blog. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. Last weekend we were in our camper in the Black Hills of SD. Or more exactly, the KOA in Rapid City SD.

Growing up I had 4 cousins. The children of my mother's only sister. We were as close as we could be living at opposite ends of South Dakota.  They lived "East River", we live "West River".  The river being the Missouri which divides SD nearly down the middle. Our parents made sure we spent weeks together in the summer and lots of Christmas holidays too. My dad was an amateur photographer, so there were lots of photographs. We always were stood in a line, stairstep style. Oldest to youngest. Bill, Jim, Judy, Jane, Kristie, Judd, Stan, and finally Jeff. So when my cousin Kris suggested a cousin reunion for 2015 we all latched on to the idea. She thought we should camp. Mr Busy and I agreed....then problems arose. My sister's husband is disabled and camping in the Black Hills would be a problem for them. My oldest cousin wanted to go to the BH to "scout elk", leaving little time for visiting or sharing. My other cousin's wife, hates to travel. Well, finally all were persuaded to attend. And we had the best time!

Here are some pictures:
 We used to visit Dinosaur Park in Rapid City as kids. Here we are arranged on the tail by age left to right. 

 Here we are farther on up the hill, arranged by height. Yikes, I am on the shortest end!

Some of the younger cousins could still climb the sculpture!  No so for me!

And this is a photo of all eight of us and our spouses. My brother Jeff, in the gray and black striped shirt, was the only one singe here. He lost his life partner, Rhonda in March. It was a bittersweet day for him. 

Thanks for following along with my ramblings. It was a wonderful weekend. We visited, ate, visited, took pictures, ate and sat by the campfire. Priceless! 

Until next time, hopefully more regularly now
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

15 comments:

  1. A cousins reunion! What a great idea! I must share. It looks like you had a wonderful time.

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reunion! I would love to do that....when we were kids, my cousins and I would all go to Grandma's house on Sundays, and we had such fun. Now we haven't seen each other in years.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had 32 years since all of us had been together in one place. Our grandfather's funeral. I am so glad we persevered.

      Delete
  3. What a happy reunion! Your pictures are delightful, especially the one with you all perched on the dinosaur's tail. I read a saying somewhere: "Cousins are our first friends." That is so true! I'm glad you were able to reconnect with yours.
    Thank you for visiting my Saturday Snapshots post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in South Dakota, west river....Dinosaur Park is in Rapid City. It seems to still attract tourists of all ages. Fun!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow...what a fun reunion! My family is really scattered and we keep talking about a reunion, but it never comes together for various reasons. Now I feel like I should get back to work on planning something that works for, if not everyone, most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Glad we were able to make it happen.

      Delete
  5. How super to have such a big reunion of cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the stories and the photos! The dinosaur looks as if it would fun to climb.

    How wonderful that the visit ultimately worked out. I agree with others; now I'd like my own cousin reunion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say"go for it". We had been talking about doing this for awhile. It is so nice it happened!

      Delete
  7. I have 21 cousins all over Australia, I'm not sure we could ever organise a reunion, so well done for making it happen despite all the detail difficulties in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the trouble. I am so glad we stuck with the idea.

      Delete
  8. That looks like so much fun! I love that y'all took pictures like that.

    ReplyDelete