Tuesday, September 15, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday- Second Time Around - 9-15-15



Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea host a place to share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book you are reading or plan to read soon. I am looking forward to reading this one.




Chapter 1
"The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it."  Edith Wharton, The House of Mirth

     "We all should have gone to law school." Jamie Burton plopped down on a white rattan rocking chair, kicking  off her flip-flops and gazed out at the lake.  " I'm telling you. Everyone who warned me about majoring in English was right. If I'd gone to law school, I wouldn't be flashing my decolletage for tips. If I'd  gone to law school, all my student loans would have been paid off, and I'd be swanning in the trinity of the Christians: Dior, Lacroix, and Louboutin.  If I'd gone to law school, I'd be ----"
    "Careening down the slippery slope of insanity," said Arden Henley, who had a framed J.D. diploma from Georgetown and a plushly appointed office in a prestigious Manhattan law firm. She'd hosted a girls' weekend reunion here at her family's cottage in the Adirondacks every Fourth of July weekend since they'd all graduated from college ten years ago. " You'd hate being an attorney. Trust me."

So, what do you think? Would you read on? I always enjoy Beth Kendrick's books. She writes with a witty charming sense of humor and often about the power of female friendships. I was introduced to her books by my daughter-in-law several years ago. My son and DIL live in Phoenix, as does Ms. Kendrick.



13 comments:

  1. This one sounds like my kind of read, even though I don't think I've read this author yet. Must add her to my list! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “PRETTY GIRLS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has written quite a few titles. The ones I have read are fun.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of this one. Reading the opening, I automatically thought of that old adage about the grass always seeming greener on the other side . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like that old adage fits a lot of us. It's easy to see other's situations as better than ours.

      Delete
  3. The cover and Edith Wharton quote were enough to convince me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the Edith Wharton quote but I'd have to read more to see if its for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like stories about friendships. The author does a good job of setting the scene of the girls' annual reunion. I'd like to be there!
    My Tuesday post features A Weekend Getaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls' weekends are always loads of fun. My sister does one every year with 4 other friends from college.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I like her books as well. Keep reading. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first two paragraphs convinced me to go find this book. I'm off to check the library's catalog. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find the Beth Kendrick section!

      Delete
  8. Not my type, but it does sound interesting! Girls weekends are fun story starters, for sure.
    Here's my Teaser/Intro for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first_15.html

    ReplyDelete