Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8-19-15



Join us at Kathy's blog, BermundaOnion's Weblog on Wednesdays to share words encountered while reading or words you would just like to highlight. Just write a post and link up at BermudaOnion's Weblog. It's that simple, then check out other's links to learn something new today.


My words today came from The Summer Hideaway by Susan Wiggs.



vassal    noun    : a person in the past who received protection and land from a lord in return for loyalty and service

They came to Camp Kioga like vassals summoned by a monarch, with George ensconced in a big armchair in the resort lobby to greet everyone.


bialy   noun

:  a flat breakfast roll that has a depressed center and is usually covered with onion flakes


George waited his turn, then ordered indulgently - a cappuccino, a kolache and an iced maple bar. He also ordered a box of bialys and a strawberry pie to go. 



I had to go looking for a picture of a bialy. The article said they are similar to a bagel in texture and originated in Poland.  You might also wonder about kolache. So here is a picture of them
My grandmother was from Czechoslovakia, so I am familiar with kolache. They were originally a sweet wedding dessert. My grandmother made awesome kolaches filled with apricots or prunes

What wondrous words did you find this week?


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

4 comments:

  1. I came to read your post before breakfast. Big mistake. I no longer want my Cheerios. Those kolaches look amazingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures - big help. But now, like Margot, I'm feeling a bit peckish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew the words today, the kolaches look tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard vassal but couldn't define it. Bialy is new to me and now I want one.

    ReplyDelete