Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8-12-15


I am joining Kathy at Wondrous Words Wednesday. It is a place to share words you found while reading or words you just want to share.


My words today come from Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.

ameliorate - verb - to make something, such as a problem, better, less painful

"The police were so intent on deporting the maximum number of Jews that they decided to ameliorate the orders, so they arrested all those little children, the ones born in France, French children?"

arrondissement - noun-   : an administrative district of some large French cities.
                                          : the largest division of a French department

" It wasn't fantastically paid, but it was enough for me to stay on, living in the eighteenth arrondissement, sharing a place with two French gay men, Herve and Christophe, who became long-lasting friends."

I could sort of figure out the meaning of these two words due to the use in the sentences, but I looked them up so I could pronounce them correctly. I was OK on ameliorate, but had the accent all wrong on arrondissement.

So what new words did you find recently?



6 comments:

  1. I knew arrondissement from when we lived in France. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of knew both words too, but I would have had to look them up if someone asked for the definition. Its funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my long TBR list.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is unusual for me, but I knew (vaguely) both words!

    Here's my Wondrous Words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew ameliorate (whew - that's a doozy to say and pronounce.) The other is new to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete