Tuesday, August 18, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday All The Light We Cannot See - 8-18-15




Every Tuesday I try to join fellow bloggers at Diane's blog, Bibliophile by the Sea, to share the first paragraph or two of the current book I am reading on First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. This week I am starting again on The Ticket by Karen Schutte. I shared the first paragraph of this 1st in a trilogy here.



I am also listening to All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.


Because this is an audio book I am using the Look Inside feature at Amazon to share the first paragraph.


17 August 1944
Leaflets

At dusk they pour from the sky. They blow across the ramparts, turn cartwheels over rooftops, flutter into the ravines between houses.Entire streets swirl with them, flashing white against the cobbles. Urgent message to the inhabitants of this town, they say. Depart immediately for open country. 


I am enjoying this listen. Though parts of it are sad and hard to listen to, most is beautifully written. The story of a sixteen year old blind girl living in Paris with her father. It is very descriptive so you can see her world as Marie-Laure sees it. Not only with your eyes, but with your ears, your nose and your fingers. So would you read more?







9 comments:

  1. This one sounds frightening, but I do want to know more...thanks for sharing; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite reads for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard such great things about All the Light We Cannot See. It's set in one of my favorite time periods to read about. I admit though, I am resisting the book--for what reasons, I'm not sure. I do like the opening you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the fence about this book, but I do love the first paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my bookclubs has this (All the Light We Cannot See) on the list for September. I'm also going to listen to it. I hope you're going to review it. I'm curious what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a book that I have in my TBR pile. I like the opening, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this book has been on my list for quite some time. So many have loved it. I might just listen to it like you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I was the only person on the face of the earth who didn't really get into this book. I downloaded the sample and felt like it was a slog, so I didn't end up buying the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, I'd like to read them both! Great picks

    ReplyDelete