Tuesday, August 4, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Self-Help (I hope)


There is a place to share the first paragraph or two in the first chapter of a book you are reading or thinking of reading soon. Write a post and link it up with Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea.





The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
Dr. Robin Zasio
Published by Rodale Books, 2011



Introduction
Not long ago, I was sitting at my vanity getting ready for my day. It was very early on a Monday morning, which is always my busiest day of the week. On this particular day I was not going into the office, but heading directly to my client Kate's house. This was to be the first time that she allowed me inside. We'd worked together off and on for months in my clinic, The Anxiety Treatment Center of Sacramento, but until now she'd been very resistance to letting me see exactly the state of her environment. She was on my mind as I applies make-up and fixed my hair.


I chose to feature the Introduction of this book rather than the first paragraph of the first chapter. The first several chapter are mostly citing case studies and though interesting are not particularly attention grabbing. Maybe the intro isn't either, but my sister has been urging me to read this book for the last year or two.


This is the year I have decided to "downsize", "declutter" or just plain "get rid of stuff" so I thought I would see if the library had it. It was checked out. Then along came the Fall Quarterly Back to School Challenge at Love of Reading over at Goodreads. The categories follow school subjects and there it was, pick a book from a genre you haven't read or at least not for a long time. So "self-help" it is. I checked the library and it was available.  Karma?!

So have you ever thought of reading a book like this? Do you have to scurry through the house throwing stuff in a basket, to hide in the closet, when someone shows up to visit unannounced? My house isn't like that anymore, but after 51 years of marriage there is definitely closets that need to be cleared of clothes that I will never wear and kitchen drawers that need to be rid of the clutter of utensils I will never use. And as of this day, we will not talk about my "stash" of fabric in my sewing room, although I am giving away a myriad of magazines!


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

15 comments:

  1. I don't think I would fall under the official diagnosis of a hoarder, but I once thought I came close, the way I collected books. LOL

    I do have a couple of junk drawers and the spare bedroom could be better organized. I go through and clean them out periodically, putting everything in it's rightful place--or tossing it out as the case may be. I need to work more on organization, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great fear of having that hoarder label applied to me, due to my collections, mostly books...but I also have dolls, bears, and figurines. Still, not a hoarder...or so I keep telling my daughter, the minimalist, who doesn't seem to notice all I have done. Sigh.

    I started purging a few months ago, and feel a lot better about my surroundings, but I have discovered that purging can be as obsessive (for me) as the collecting. LOL

    I have read several books about hoarding, some fictional, and a couple were memoirs.

    A fascinating topic. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purging is the goal for me. I really must! I can't leave this all for my DD and DS to deal with!

      Delete
  3. I like the first paragraph as it leads up to what she might find in her client's house. I think we all have a little bit of hoarder in us, especially book lovers, craft lovers, etc. I like good nonfiction like this as it makes me think. Good luck with your decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost 1/2 way through this book, and I am definitely a clutter collector!

      Delete
  4. I recently read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and this sounds similar. My closet was first and now I'm ready to keep going in other areas of my home. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally have made a start! DH promised to paint the bedroom when I got the closet cleaned out! :)

      Delete
  5. I have a stash of fabric too (after all, I'm a quilter) and more books than any one person needs, so I'm sure I'd benefit from this book.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I have been whittling away at my fabric for 2 years. I have only purchased fabric to complete projects already started and a 2 special baby blankets. There is hardly a dent in my stash! *sigh*

      Delete
  6. My mother was pretty much a minimalist so I never had lots of stuff (except houseplants, too many clothes and books of course). I hope this one helps you declutter. My husband is a saver though, but i make him keep his junk in the unfinished part of our basement:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saver, that what I say I am. But I really don't need 3 containers of paperclips and pushpins, nor do I need 40 t-shirts. On to the "give away" bag they go!

      Delete
  7. I have more stuff than I need (and, of course, more books than I will ever read). I'm planning to downsize in the future, so I have begun to release items that I no longer need or use. I usually take 2-3 shopping bags a week to Salvation Army. I have several decluttering books that I am referring to at the moment to help keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Two or three shopping bags a week is awesome! I feel good to get one box out of here at a time. We don't have a Salvation Army that takes clothes or stuff, but we do have a donation based second hand store operated by our Council of Community Services. They are my go-to organization.

      Delete