Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7-22




Linking up some new to me words from a recent read. Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog. It is a place to share words your discovered while reading or just to highlight words you like.



My words today are a few I found in Fifty Shades Freed, the 3rd in the Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James. There were a few others that I was unable to define, but I know all you word nerds would know them right away.  NO...NO...not those kinds of words!!   They were hyperbole and alacrity. 

 - a signature from a email.

Christian Grey
CEO & Hoplophobe, Grey Enterprises Holding, Inc.


This word was not in my regular dictionary so I checked the Urban Dictionary.

hoplophobe - someone with an irrational fear off firearms.

                         hoplophobia  -coined by Lt Jeff Cooper from  the Greek hoplites, or warriors.




a conversation between Christian and Anastasia.

"Well, Mr. Grey, I'm glad one of us is punctilious.


punctilious   adj    very careful about behaving properly and doing things in a correct and accurate way.


What interesting or new to you words do you find in your reading?



Stay Busy and Stay Happy


7 comments:

  1. Is like hoplophobe, never heard it before. Being a word nerd I did know punctilious, as well as hyperbole and alacrity. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew all the word nerds that participate in this meme would know the words, but sometime I have to look up a word several times before it sticks with me.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to say ditto to Elizabeth's comment. That's me exactly. I haven't read the 50 Shades books. Are you going to review them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still am not sure! So many people have a preconceived notion about the books. I have gotten more than a few "looks" from friends when they learn that I have read all three. I am not very good at confrontation. Yes they are a bit salacious, but there is a deep and interesting story about how your past really affects the person you turn out to be.

      Delete
  3. I've shared punctilious for WWW - I found it in "Code Name Verity". Great words today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remember you featuring punctilious! I must have to see it or look it up numerous times before I remember. It's called "Old Age"!

      Delete
  4. Hm, I guess I'm kind of a hoplophobe. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete