Tuesday, July 21, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Garden Spells


Linking up with Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea for this week's First Chapter First Paragraph.

Garden Spells
Sarah Addison Allen
Bantam Books 2007
A Division of Random House


           Chapter 1

Every smiley moon, without fail, Claire dreamed of her childhood. She always tried to stay awake those nights when the stars winked and the moon was just a cresting sliver smiling provocatively down at the world, the way pretty women on vintage billboards used to smile as they sold cigarettes and limeade. On those nights in the summer, Claire would garden by the light of the solar-powered footpath lamps, weeding and trimming the night bloomers--the moon vine and the angel's trumpet, the night jasmine and the flowering tobacco. These weren't part of the Waverley legacy of edible flowers, but sleepless as she often was, Claire had added flowers to the garden to give her something to do at night when she was so wound up that frustration singed the edge of her nightgown and she set tiny fires with her fingertips.


Have you read this one?   Would you read on?   Sarah Addison Allen also wrote The Sugar Queen, which I read in  February 2014.

I'm off to see what others are featuring today.



Stay Busy and Stay Happy


13 comments:

  1. I have not read this one or any other book by this author. Though I've meant to. I certainly have meant to. Sigh. Need to make it a priority. I think I have a copy of another book on the shelf behind me - something about peach keeper? I liked the beginning of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my list for a while but I haven't gotten to it yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd need to read the blurb to know if I was interested. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read this one for a number of years now, so I definitely would keep reading. I am not sure why I haven't read it yet. It does sound like something I would really like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read one book by this author: The Peach Keeper. I also have Lost Lake on my Kindle. I definitely want to read this one.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about this author, but the intro didn't really grab me. I probably wouldn't continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read another book by her, but not this one. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Are the fires figurative? i love the description of the night sky. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this one a few years ago. I don't really remember all that much about it...just that I liked it very much. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. People seem to love this author, but I haven't read her yet. This sounds good - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this one a while back, but haven't read anything else by her. Hop you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Judy, that's a beautiful beginning paragraph. I'm not familiar with the book or the author, but I sure like what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Garden Spells when I first read it years ago. Just finished First Frost and it was great, too.

    ReplyDelete