Tuesday, July 14, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Shem Creek by Dorothea Benton Frank


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first paragraph (or maybe two) of the first chapter in a book she is currently reading or hopes to start soon. She invites us to join her. Just share your first paragraph and link up at Diane's blog.


Shem Creek
Dorothea Benton Frank
Berkley Publishing Group
  a division of Penguin Group
August 2004


A Post Card from Linda
Can I just tell you why I am so deliriously happy to drive all through the night from New Jersey to South Carolina? Here we are, boxed in between this wall of eighteen-wheelers on our left and right, in front and behind, in this little pocket of flying road, racing down I-95 at seventy-six miles an hour. My daughters are asleep beside me and in the backseat. On another night, I would be terrified out of my skin by the blasting of horns. But not tonight. Let me tell you something. These trucks are like huge guardian angels rushing us to safety and the rain is washing us clean. Life has been a little rough around the edges and it was time to break out. Yeah. A little rough would be one way of understating it. 
Oh, eventually you'll hear the whole story, because this is a long ride and there ain't much to do besides tell secrets and link about life. Thinking about life is what I had been doing for a very long time. I finally decided to quit the thinking nonsense and do something. I mean, I was even driving myself crazy from my own whining.  Then I came to this conclusion.  You don't like your life? Go get another one and the shut the heck up already, right?

So what do you think?  Would you continue with this one?

I am already hooked!  I have not read Dorothea Benton Frank in the past, but I like the voice of this Linda person very much. I am pretty sure I will like this one.

When I finish and write a review this will complete the What's In A Name 2015 challenge of a book with a body of water in the title. It is also a library loan, so it will add to my library list. Whoop! Whoop!!  3 in 1.

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




9 comments:

  1. I am a new fan of Dorothea Benton Frank, so I have only read a few of her newer books. Now I want to grab this one. Thanks!

    Here's mine: “THE MURDERER’S DAUGHTER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothea Benton Frank is an author that I've read very little of - maybe 1 book. And, she's one that I've meant to read more. Her stories always sound so homey and Southern and sweet. I have to be in the right mood, but I'd keep reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Dorothea Benton Frank... this sounds like a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DBF is a good storyteller. Haven't read this one, but have enjoyed a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her writing, it's like sitting at the kitchen table listening to a friend! I'm adding this to my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This author is a great storyteller and this beginning is just a sample. She makes you want to keep reading. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this author's books in years, but I do like the intro and hope u enjoy this one Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would continue reading. I am a late comer to her books and have enjoyed what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an author that has been highly recommended to me, but I havne't yet tried. I like that intro quite a bit. I'm already hooked.

    ReplyDelete