Tuesday, July 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Color of Water in July by Nora Carroll


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this fun way to share a bit of the book you are currently reading or a book you want to read soon. And even more important is the chance to take a peek at what others are reading to see if you might find one you want to try. Be warned!  Your TBR list could grow a lot.


This week I am reading a book that has been on my Kindle for sometime. I was attracted to the cover at first. Then I read the blurb on Goodreads.  However, you know how it is. So many books, so little time, and I did not get to it right away. Well, along comes a reading challenge in the Goodread's group, Love of Reading. One of the categories is to read a book with one of the following words in the title: "July", "Flag","American", "Day", "Sun", "Nation", "Patriot", "Duty","Freedom", " Birth", "Red", "Blue", "White" or "County".  There were lots of books to chose from, but I had this one already downloaded on my Kindle and so it is the one I chose.



The Color of Water in July
Nora Carroll
Published March 2011 by Amazon Digital Services
  (first published in a slightly different form with the title Hemingway Point)

Jess age 34
Chapter One
There must be a precise moment when wet cement turns dry, when it no longer accepts footprints, or scratched in declarations of love; on ordinary moment, unnoticed, just like any. But in that moment, the facts of life can change.
At the age of thirty-three, Jess thought she knew everything there was to know about leaving places: getting on a plane or stepping into a car, and moving forward, on to the next thing. 
She had not yet learned the art of going back. 

So would you try this one?  I am wondering why she is going to need to go back?

Check out the Goodreads synopsis HERE.


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So far it is good. I will keep reading.

      Delete
  2. Love that cover... can definitely see why it caught your eye! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it is good. the chapters flip flop back and forth between Jess at 17 and Jess at 34, so I think something is going to happen to her at 17 that shapes her future.

      Delete
  3. That intro definitely makes me curious...and I do want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the last line of the intro. It's got a nice resonance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that intro! I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd continue on...

    My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-111.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover looks so familiar. I'm wondering if I own a copy of this book and just haven't read it yet. I like the intro though so I need to find out if I do have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure - I think I'd have to read a bit more... but I do like the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious so I would keep reading. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds interesting! I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete