Tuesday, June 30, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - State of the Onion - Julie Hyzy




Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. It is a place to share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon. Post about your first chapter first paragraph then link up at Diane's blog. It is a great way to get a glimpse into a book you have been thinking about too or maybe one you never would have considered otherwise. 


State of the Onion
Julie Hyzy
Berkley Prime Crime
2008


Chapter 1
  
I slid my employee pass into the card reader at the Northeast gate of the White House, and waited for verification--a long, shrill chirp that always made me wince. The pedestrian gate unlocked with a click and one of the guards, Freddie, emerged from the checkpoint to greet me. Like all of the staff here, he was fit, smart, and imposing. But he had a soft spot for those of us in the kitchen. We gave the guys cookies when we had time to make an extra batch.

" Hey, Ollie," he said, looking at a bulky parcel in my hand, "What's that?"


A pretty benign beginning, but setting up the chapter pretty well. Do you read cozy mysteries?  I have come to like them a lot. They are a favorite genre. I have a lot of favorites...most of them. 

Would you read on?


Hoping to finish this one today and then begin the another library find. I'll probably feature that one next week. 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy



8 comments:

  1. Whenever I read a cozy, I love it! I participated in a Cozy Mysteries Challenge one year, and it was fun.

    Thanks for sharing...this one sounds good; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on cozies but I like the picture she paints of the guard with a soft spot for cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading cozies, every once in a while, and this sounds like a good one. I like the way the author opened with something happening and introduced us to the point-of-view character too. I'd keep reading to find out what's in that bulky parcel!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy a good cozy now and then. I like the opening of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am starting to really enjoy cozies- some of them anyway. The clever titles never fail to crack me up! This one could be interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am starting to really enjoy cozies- some of them anyway. The clever titles never fail to crack me up! This one could be interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this has potential. I might read a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cozies, though I've never read Julie Hyzy before. I'd read on!

    ReplyDelete