Tuesday, June 23, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. The Summer Hideaway


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. It is a place to share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon. Post about your first chapter first paragraph then link up at Diane's blog. It is a great way to get a glimpse into a book you have been thinking about too or maybe one you never would have considered otherwise. 



The Summer Hideaway #7 in The Lakeshore Chronicles
Susan Wiggs
Published 2010 by Mira Books


Prologue
Korengal Valley, Kunar province, Afghanistan
His breakfast consisted of shoestring potatoes that actually did look and taste like shoestrings, along with reconstituted eggs, staring up at him from a compartmentalized tray in the noisy chow hall. His cup was full of a coffeelike substance, lightened by a whitish powder. 
At the end of a two-year tour of duty, Ross Bellamy had a hard time looking at morning chow. He'd reached his limit. Fortunately for him, this was his last day of deployment.  It seemed like any other day--tedious, yet tense with the constant and ominous hum of imminent threat. Radio static crackled along with the sound of clacking utensils, so familiar to him by now that he barely heard it.  At the comm station, an ops guy for the Dustoff unit was on alert, awaiting the next call for a medical evacuation. 

I shared two paragraphs today. I felt like the first one did not give you a good indication as to where this story might be headed.


I am on page 21, barely started, but already I think I have an idea of what will happen next. So would you read on?

This definitely falls in the genre of contemporary romance, fictions, chick lit, etc. I used to read more of this genre, but not so much lately. However, it was loaned to me by a friend and it is summer so I decided to make this one the book I leave in the car. I have a small canvas bag that hold a book, a notebook and a pen. It is there when I need it to pass the time waiting in line, waiting on my DH while he is in the hardware store or any other time I am idle.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy































12 comments:

  1. I am already curious about what will happen next...will something prevent him from leaving, even though he is near the end of his deployment? Suspenseful!

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE NEW NEIGHBOR”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author, but I have heard good things about her books. I do like the intro you shared and would continue on. I do feel bad about for him though--eating potatoes that taste like actual shoestrings. Not an appetizing breakfast. But I imagine given where he is and why, that's to be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover and would want to know how his life goes after service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've read at least one book by this author. Seems like a great summer read, although that breakfast chow sounds totally icky and unappealing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd read more on this one, but hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen several books by this author around. Never read anything. Maybe I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely keep reading. I love this author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would keep reading. Are the books in the series stand alones? Or do I need to start at the beginning? Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure, but it seems like they could stand alone. This is not the first in the series and so far I have not found it a problem. I am kind of OCD about series though, I like to start at #1 and read them in order!!

      Delete
  9. I would probably keep reading. When it gets to the point I can predict the storyline, I tend to try another genre for a couple of books. Always seems to help me. If I don't, I get into a real reading slump.

    http://thankyoumsbowen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sort of the same way. I won't know if I am correct about where this story is headed for a few more chapters. I hope I am not right, cause I have a strange foreboding about his safety.

      Delete