Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday 5-27-15



Linking up at Kathy's blog - BermudaOnion's Weblog today to share a couple of words discovered as I finished reading Our Lady of the Lost and Found by Diane Schoemperlen.



verisimilitude  noun    -the quality of seeming real

When I taught writing, .............I would often emphasize how precision in the details helps create atmosphere, character and verisimilitude; how the color of a bedroom wall, the dirt on a third-floor window, the drape of a black silk skirt can all be used to draw the reader deeper into the fictional world, a world that should be, as John Gardner advised, a "vivid and continuous dream" in the reader's mind.


expiatory   adj     serving to expiate   (which led me to look up expiate)

expiate:
: to do something as a way to show that you are sorry about doing something bad
: to extinguish the guilt incurred by


I have never had a priest bestow absolution upon me and send me on my way with some expiatory homework: Say twelve Hail Marys.


What wondrous words have you discovered lately?


Stay Busy and Stay Happy


3 comments:

  1. I knew expiatory, but not the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verisimilitude seems so weird in that sentene that I love it. Oh yes, I'm always looking for the way an author adds verisimilitude in their descriptions. lol Good find Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those are new to me. I think I'd have trouble saying verisimilitude in the middle of a sentence.

    ReplyDelete