Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wondrous Word Wednesday -

I am linking up with Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog today. This meme is a place to share wondrous words encountered while reading. Or you could highlight words you like. Write a post and link up at Kathy's blog.


Again, I have no new words from my reading. I have encountered some unusual words while reading

but none that were new to me. So today I will share a couple from my Word of the Day email from Merriam Websters. 

from April 25th

lissome   adj.  1. easily flexed   2. lithe, nimble

My old arthritic joints keep me from being as lissome as I was when I was a teenager. 



May 15th

bowdlerize   verb  1. to expurgate by omitting or modifying parts considered vulgar  2. to modify by abridging, simplifying, or distorting in style or content. 

"Being an iconic classic, however, hasn't protected Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from being banned, bowdlerized and bleeped. It hasn't protected the novel from being cleaned up, updated and 'improved.'" — Michiko Kakutani, New York Times, January 6, 2011





Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


 

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've had "expurgate"as one of my WWW entries! Good words today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered lissome when I saw the definition but bowdlerize it new to me.

    ReplyDelete