Monday, May 25, 2015

My Monday Reading - and a plan for the summer!

This rainy Memorial Day finds me achy and tired. Maybe a perfect day to just read. I currently have a bookmark in The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen. It was the March read for my book club but we were in Arizona and so I did not read or participate in the discussion. A fellow "Page Turner" shared the book with me to read this summer. I am so far enthralled with Mary El's story.


Based on a remarkable true story, The Secrets of Mary Bowser is an inspiring tale of one daring woman's willingness to sacrifice her own freedom to change the course of history.
All her life, Mary has been a slave to the wealthy Van Lew family of Richmond, Virginia. But when Bet, the willful Van Lew daughter, decides to send Mary to Philadelphia to be educated, she must leave her family to seize her freedom.
Life in the North brings new friendships, a courtship, and a far different education than Mary ever expected, one that leads her into the heart of the abolition movement. With the nation edging toward war, she defies Virginia law by returning to Richmond to care for her ailing father—and to fight for emancipation. Posing as a slave in the Confederate White House in order to spy on President Jefferson Davis, Mary deceives even those who are closest to her to aid the Union command.
Just when it seems that all her courageous gambles to end slavery will pay off, Mary discovers that everything comes at a cost—even freedom.


I plan to read The Ticket by Karen Schutte also and the following 2 titles in the trilogy. When Karl Kessel receives another man's ticket to emigrate from Germany he leaves behind his young wife and two small sons, all for the promise of the opportunity he covets. Arriving in America, Karl is obsessed with becoming the owner of a farm--to be his own man. When Karl's wife Katja steps off a train with their sons in the wilds of sparsely settled Wyoming, she questions, "Is this where I am to spend my life?" Katja soon discovers that it is not only the geography of her situation which will make her life difficult, as she gives everything her husband demands of her, but it is never enough.
In her debut novel, Karen Schutte spins a compelling family story, based on the true story of her own great grandparents' life in rural Wyoming. Her unvarnished narrative exposes the harsh realities of life in the last century.
"The Ticket" is an unforgettable and touching account of a true American family, filled with ambition, promises, love and loss, and ultimately, a legacy of survival. 
 



I hope it will be a great historical somewhat true account of the immigrants that settled the part of the country where I live. 

Also this week, we will begin some redecorating in our Master bedroom. So first that means cleaning the closet out to ready for paint. I am looking forward to downsizing and painting a sunnier cream or yellow color. I have a quilt that I made a year ago that I will use as my inspiration. 

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




No comments:

Post a Comment