Tuesday, May 26, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - The Secrets of Mary Bowser - Lois Leveen


Link up with us at Diane's blog to peek at the first paragraph or two in some books other bloggers are reading. Write your post about your current or soon to be read and link it up at Bibliophile By the Sea


Today I am sharing the first two paragraph of the prologue to 

The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen.


Published by Harper Collins 2012



Prologue

Mama was always so busy. Busy tending to Old Master Van Lew and Mistress Van Lew, Young Master John, Miss Bet. But she was never too busy to riddle me. She said it was the first kind of learning she could give me, and the most important, too. Be alert, Mama meant. See the world around you. Find what you seek, because it's already there.
"I spy with my little eye, where the bird goes when he doesn't fly", Mama said one mid-day, her word floating on the Richmond heat as we carried empty cookpots through the yard to the kitchen.


Would you read on?  This is based on a true story, though no doubt it is historical fiction.  I am nearly a quarter way through and am mesmerized so far. 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how the mother brings learning into the mix. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love playing "I Spy" so that part drew me in. This sounds like a good pick for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one and really enjoyed it. If you enjoy it, you really should pick up Miss Lizzie's War by Rosemary Agonito, which is based on the same events, but told from Elizabeth Van Lew's point of view. Then you might want to read The Spymistress by Jennifer Chiaverini, also a story based on these people. Of the three, my favorite was the Agonito book, but I enjoyed them all.

    Today I am featuring The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always seem to enjoy books that feature the relationships between mothers and daughters, so I'm sure I'd like this. Thanks for the recommendation.
    My Tuesday post features Nobody’s Cuter Than You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on a true story? Interesting. Yes, I'd keep reading and it sounds like it is really working for you. I'll be interested in hearing what you think upon finishing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a growing love for historical fiction and this sounds pretty much right up my alley! I also really want to know what the answer to the riddle is. The cover is very pretty as well! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week and that I see you at ABEA!
    My Tuesday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening leaves me wanting to know more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so curious for more Judy. Hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have to put this on my to read list. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have me curious about this historical. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an intriguing opening, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete