Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Join us on Wednesdays to highlight words found while reading or even while listening. Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog gives us a place to share these Wondrous Words.

From North of Beautiful by Justine Chen Headley.

This is a YA novel. I wondered as I read it if the wondrous words I found there would also be words that the YA age group would know or wonder about. I don't have my finger on the pulse of 15-19 year olds. So I would welcome the input from anyone. here are a few of the words I found.



stigmata: a stigmata plural : bodily marks or pains resembling the wounds of the crucified Jesus and sometimes accompanying religious ecstasy

" How they'd comment offhandedly that sometime their birthmarks bled spontaneously, stigmata without any hope of redemption."


chagrin: noun - distress of mind caused by humiliation, disappointment, or failure

               intransitive verb - to vex or unsettle by disappointing or humiliating

"His chagrin turned into a full smile"


cartouche: noun-a scroll-like ornament or tablet, esp. as an architectural feature
on Egyptian monuments, an oval or oblong figure containing the hieroglyphs of the name of a ruler or deity

"I had yet to sign a single piece of my work, had never thought myself worthy of a cartouche, never claiming my creations."


inured: transitive verb - to accustom to accept something undesirable

"It was as she had become so accustomed to disappointment , so inured to people reneging on their promise, that she expected setbacks, heartbreak."



froment: to cause or try to cause the growth or development of (something bad or harmful)



" His lips thinned, reminiscent of Dad and his quiet fromenting rages.



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

5 comments:

  1. Cartouche is interesting.

    Love finding new words.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cartouche and froment are new to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cartouche is one I've never seen before. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the first two words but wasn't familiar with the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'd seen inured, I would have guessed it was a typo and meant insured. I'm going to try to remember that word!

    ReplyDelete