Tuesday, April 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday- North of Beautiful


What are you anxious to read soon?  Share the first chapter, first paragraph of your next read at Diane's blog, Bibliophile By The Sea.  Write a post and link up at Diane's blog.

I hope to start this one soon. It has been on my list for several months and I finally made the trek to the Young Adult section of our library to check it out.



North of Beautiful
Justina Chen Headley
Hachette Book Group
February 2009
Young Adult


Fate Maps

Not to brag or anything , but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect. I'm tall, but not too tall, with a ballerina's long legs and longish neck. My hair is naturally platinum blonde, the kind that curls when I want it to and cascades behind my back in one sleek line when I don't. While my face couldn't launch a thousand ships, it has the power to make any stranger whip around for a second look. Trust me, this mixture of curiosity and revulsion is nothing Helen of Troy would have ever encountered.
   Please don't get me wrong: I've got all the prerequisite parts - and in all the right numbers, too: one nose, two eyes, and twenty-four teeth that add up to not a bad smile. But who notices pearly whites when a red-stained birthmark stretches across the broad plain of my right cheek? That's exactly why I never went anywhere without my usual geologic strata of moisturizer, sunblock, medical concealer, foundation, and powder. 

I hope that this is the story I am anticipating it to be.    Would you want to read on?



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





This book will be my 11th library book on my way to meet my goal of 28 at Sheila's blog. You can watch my list grow at my 2015 Challenges page.

7 comments:

  1. Very descriptive, she's definitely self-aware/absorbed, but not sure whether I's read more? Hope you enjoy it Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much YA so probably wouldn't continue.. hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would need to read the back cover before deciding to continue or not. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued, but I'm with Donna; this is where the blurb becomes so important. (YA is really a market rather than a genre.) If the blurb indicated this was going to turn into a lightish romance, I wouldn't read this, but it might just be more than that. Then I'd thinking "this is for me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine it wouldn't be easy, being in her shoes. I like the narrative voice and would likely keep reading. I want to get to know the main character more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the opening paragraphs. They make me want to find out more about her and how she handles herself. I'll try and watch for your review as I do love a good YA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love a good YA and I've never heard of this one. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete