Tuesday, March 10, 2015

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore


First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea. Join us to share the first paragraph ( or a few) of the book you are currently reading, or hope to begin soon.


Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore  A Novel
Robin Sloan
Farrar, Straus and Giroux  2012


Help Wanted
     Lost in the shadows of the shelves, I almost fall off the ladder. I am exactly half way up. The floor of the bookstore is far below me, the surface of a planet I've left behind. The tops of the shelves loom high above, and it's dark up there - the books are packed in close, and they don't let any light through. The air might be thinner, too. I think I see a bat.
     I am holding on for dear life, one hand on the ladder, the other on the lip of a shelf, fingers pressed white. My eyes trace a line above my knuckles, searching the spines - and there I spot it. The book I'm looking for.
     But let me back up. 


I am anxious to get started on the book. I recommended it to my book club and they have decided to read it for discussion in April. I hope it is as good as the reviews I have been reading. This is also a library book, so I will add it to my list for Readers to the Rescue Library Challenge. 

I finished On Hummingbird Wings by Lauraine Snelling. You can see my review here on Goodreads. 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

13 comments:

  1. Judy, I enjoyed this one. Hope you like it too. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good, Paulita. Enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book. The intro is intriguing. I'd have to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that beginning paragraph, and the setting. I hope you enjoy your book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read so many great reviews of this book and the setting is ideal for booklovers! Here is my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/4158/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been ogling this one since it came out...I love that intro, and I can almost feel everything he is experiencing from the description. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked this one, a hardcover, out from out library. Last night I started reading it in bed. I turned out the light and decided I needed to get up to get a bottle of water, the cover of this book has glow in the dark markings. The spines of the books glow. I was a bit freaked out at first, but then had to giggle.

      Delete
    2. correction from our library!! :)

      Delete
  6. I always love a writer who can make me laugh and the bat comment did. May have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sentence, "but let me back up". I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great opening! I've seen several very positive reviews of this book, so I'd keep reading. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this book too. I just read it last year and found it very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might like this Judy from the intro. So happy you joined us again this week. Thanks

    ReplyDelete