Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday #615


Join us at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog to share new words you discovered while reading, or new words you encounterd somewhere else.


I did not find any new words in my reading this week. But M-W(Merriam Webster) has a word of the day on their site and I now get it delivered to my email. Today's word is one I suppose I knew but do not use, instead I use the more popular "foodie".  Can you guess today's word?

gourmand:  n.  1.  one who is excessively fond of eating and drinking
                         2. one who is heartily fond of good food and drink.



Although the first definition seems to me to be about gluttony, the second is more like the one I would use.

My sister is an fantastic cook. She keeps journals of menus and recipes,  writes (gasp!) in her cookbooks and plans even an everyday meal to include placemats, cloth napkins, candles and good wine.   I would say she is a gourmand, wouldn't you?

That's my wondrous word this week. I am going to try to use it in my everyday speech.




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

3 comments:

  1. My mom uses that word fairly often, but only to describe other people. She's definitely not a gourmand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gourmand is a good word. I wish it were used more often. I think its much more elegant than "foodie." Foodie seems like the fast food version of gourmand. It must be fun to visit your sister, the gourmand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I am not a gourmand but I would put my husband in that bracket. Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete