Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday #415



Wednesday on Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog, is a great place to showcase words you found while reading or other wondrous words you want to highlight.  Post your words, then link up at Kathy's Blog to share your word or words. 

I did not find any words in my regular reading this week. So I went to the Merriam Webster website and perused their Word of the Day list.

On February 4th the word was:

quotidian:  adj.

1. occurring every day
2. belonging to each day: everyday
3. commonplace, ordinary

After weeks on the road, it felt good to be back to our quotidian routines.


On February 6th the word was:

inimical: ad

1. being adverse often by reason of hostility or malevolence
2. a) having  the disposition on an enemy: hostile
    b) reflecting or indicating hostility : unfriendly

The mayor's proposal received an inimical response from members of the town council.

These words were unknown to me. I hope to use them this week in my quotidian speech!


We will be gone the rest of the week and maybe through Monday. We are attending a family member's funeral in Iowa. Hopefully the roads and weather will cooperate with us. It is a 600 mile drive, so it will take these "old folks", 2 days. I will be reading and also stitching while I ride.



Stay Busy and Stay Happy








3 comments:

  1. I knew quotidian from our time in France and from the restaurant Le Pain Quotidien. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've know a few people with inimical personalities. (I hope I used that right.) Thankfully, I haven't know many. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know those words because I get the M-W word of the day delivered to my inbox. I thought inimical might be apt to describe a class of middle school students when a substitute walks in the room (my daughter complained about a sub that day).

    ReplyDelete