Sunday, February 8, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading. #615



Each Monday, Sheila host this meme, as a place to share the book you are currently reading or hope to start soon. Join us at Book Journey, Sheila's blog, and tell us what your are reading.



This week I am reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. I am probably one of a handful of reader who haven't read it yet. It was published in 1988 and was a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winner. 

We are traveling in the latter part of the week, so I will take one of the following books along. 

In this luminous prequel to her beloved Cobbled Court Quilts series, New York Times bestselling author Marie Bostwick takes readers into the heart of a small Texas town and the soul of a woman who discovers her destiny there. . .

Welcome to Too Much--where the women are strong-willed and the men are handsome yet shiftless. Ever since Mary Dell Templeton and her twin sister Lydia Dale were children, their Aunt Velvet has warned them away from local boys. But it's well known that the females in Mary Dell's family have two traits in common--superior sewing skills and a fatal weakness for men.
Dewey's Nine Lives offers nine funny, inspiring, and heartwarming stories about cats--all told from the perspective of "Dewey's Mom," librarian Vicki Myron. The amazing felines in this book include Dewey, of course, whose further never-before-told adventures are shared, and several others who Vicki found out about when their owners reached out to her. Vicki learned, through extensive interviews and story sharing, what made these cats special, and how they fit into Dewey's community of perseverance and love. From a divorced mother in Alaska who saved a drowning kitten on Christmas Eve to a troubled Vietnam veteran whose heart was opened by his long relationship with a rescued cat, these Dewey-style stories will inspire readers to laugh, cry, care, and, most importantly, believe in the magic of animals to touch individual lives.

Twelve-year-old CeeCee is in trouble. For years she’s been the caretaker of her psychotic mother, Camille— the crown-wearing, lipstick-smeared laughingstock of an entire town. Though it’s 1967 and they live in Ohio, Camille believes it’s 1951 and she’s just been crowned the Vidalia Onion Queen of Georgia.

The day CeeCee discovers Camille in the front yard wearing a tattered prom dress and tiara as she blows kisses to passing motorists, she knows her mother has completely flipped. When tragedy strikes, Tootie Caldwell, a previously unknown great-aunt comes to CeeCee’s rescue and whisks her away to Savannah. Within hours of her arrival, CeeCee is catapulted into a perfumed world of prosperity and Southern eccentricities—a world that appears to be run entirely by women.

Any recommendations?  I'm leaning toward Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. It has been on my TBR list for a really long time.





Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


11 comments:

  1. Nice mix of genres. Enjoy them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are not very many genres I don't read. Horror/fantasy being one! None of those on this list. :)

      Delete
  2. Great lists of books. Btw I havent read Beloved yet either but I have a copy of it on my shelf collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni Morrison writes with such beautiful prose about such really ugly subjects. They are compelling as well as difficult.

      Delete
  3. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't heard of Beloved - so must check it out!

    Have a good week!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving CeeCee has been on my list forever also. Great variety. Hmmm Beloved, wow, hard choice. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have Beloved on my TBR pile, but I've heard it's quite a difficult read & I keep putting it off.
    Like you, I also like to plan what book to pack for a trip away (I usually pack a spare in case the first one doesn't take!! I live in horror of not having a book to read.)

    Happy travels :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been on my list for some time, and this month is is the selected read for a group I belong to on Goodreads. So it was time to read it. I look forward to the discussion on the group read at the end of February.

      Delete
  6. I read Beloved when it first came out and didn't love it the way most people did. I did love Saving CeeCee Honeycutt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An intriguing collection of books here. Beloved sounds like fun. I hope you enjoy it.


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a fun read, but definitely a subject that invites discussion. I hope to be able to put my thoughts on paper when I finish.

      Delete