Tuesday, February 10, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Into #515



Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea host this Tuesday meme. It is a a place to share the first paragraph of a book you are currently reading or hope to read soon. Come link up and take a peek at what others are reading. 



Saving CeeCee Honeycutt
Beth Hoffman
Penguin Group 2010


Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road. That's what three eyewitnesses told the police. The first time I remember my mother wearing red shoes was on a snowy morning in December 1962, the year I was seven years old. I walked into the kitchen and found her sitting at the table. No lights were on, but in the thin haze of dawn that pushed through the frostbitten window, I could see the red high-heeled shoes peeking out from beneath the hem of her robe. There was no breakfast waiting, no freshly ironed school dress hanging on the basement doorknob. Momma just sat and stared out the window with empty eyes, her hands limp in her lap, her coffee cold and untouched. 
I stood by her side and breathed in the sweet scent of lavender talcum powder that clung to the tufts of her robe.
"What's the matter, Momma?"

I am looking forward to reading this one. It has been on my TBR list for a while and last Friday, as I was wandering the library shelves, it jumped out at me. So I pulled it off the shelf !



Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. Oh Judy, you are in for a treat. I loved this book and all the characters. They were so real. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved this book! It was one of my favorites during the year I read it. I also loved another book by this author, Looking for Me.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

    Here's mine: “ONE PLUS ONE”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a favorite among the bloggers I follow, so I would continue. Hope you enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I loved this one! I hope you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one has been on my tbr pile for ages, I really need to read it! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my TBR list and the intro just makes me want to read it more :)

    ReplyDelete