Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday #215




I read this word, sibilant,  while reading the post for First Chapter First Paragraph Intros on Faith Hope and Cherrytea blog.

This is the second paragraph in the first chapter when I looked it up on Amazon.  I love the words in this paragraph, except to me the highlighted word seems odd. Am I just dense or is it whispered "sh" sounds?


"Armies of cedar and fir and hemlock marched up the foothills
of the Cascade Mountains, long limbs glowing with a peculiar shade of green I'd seen only once before:  when a six-carat emerald rolled across a stainless steel examination tray in the FBI's materials analysis lab.  That gem's green facets glowed with a hue so verdant, so luscious, it whispered sibilant promises in the ears of greedy men." 

sibilant :  having, containing, or producing the sound of or a sound resembling that of the s or the sh in sash 


The next two words I found as I started reading Glory in Death by J.D. Robb. 

perfidy: the act of betraying someone or something : the state of not being loyal

"So, she discovered my perfidy, and I had her lured to a dangerous neighborhood and ordered her throat cut"


avaricious:  greedy of gain :  excessively acquisitive especially in seeking to hoard riches

"The gray cat she'd named Galahad lay like a fat slug on the arm of the chair and studied Roarke's plate with bicolored, avaricious eyes. 

I should have known this as it is similar to "avarice". 


What new or interesting words did you discover this week?



Stay Busy and Stay Happy






4 comments:

  1. Sibilant does seem like an odd choice of words in that sentence - what kind of promises are sibilant? Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the paragraph with the word sibilant in it. It seems very poetic - up until that word. It doesn't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone - the prose of that paragraph is gorgeous, until that word. Maybe it has another meaning we're not aware of? Good round up, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew avaricious, I also agree about sibilant.

    ReplyDelete