Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wondrous Words Wednesday #115




Join us at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog to share new words you discovered while reading, or new words you encounters somewhere else.


I haven't encountered any new words in my last few reads. So I went back to my Kindle, where I read Unbroken and checked the notes section. Here are a few others I had highlighted while I was reading.



torpor n.   a state of physical or mental inactivity: lethargy

"Back on Hawaii, he sank into a cold torpor."

This word made me think of stupor and I guess it is similar. In fact the Merriam Webster dictionary uses this definition of stupor: a state of extreme apathy or torpor resulting often from stress or shock.


anodyne   adj.  not likely to provoke dissent or offense; uncontentious or inoffensive, often deliberately so.

"Among Louie's friends, no one would remember what Sasaki studied at USC, but they all recalled
his quiet, anodyne presence; saying almost nothing, he smiled without interruption."


alacrity   n.  brisk and cheerful readiness

"Mac suddenly shot his hand up and snagged the bird by the leg in midair, the handed the squirming animal to Louie, who was amazed at Mac's alacrity. "


What interesting words did you come across in your reading recently?


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I should have known anodyne but I didn't. It sounds so scientific to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good review of words I should know but didn't remember. Thanks. And congrats on reading 71 books last year (I was checking out your side bar.) I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to be reminded of these words, so easily forgotten when not used everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these interesting words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first look I was sure I knew all three of your new words. But then, I realized I couldn't define a one. I like torpor. It's what I felt right after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like "anodyne." I thought of the Medical field. Good words, thanks.

    ReplyDelete